Dealing with recalls

The parking brake recall thread provided me with this very handy URL that happens to apply to the exact model and year of Jeep I've been working on:

I also asked my father (who still receives all the various Jeep mailings that came about as a result of the purchase of the aforementioned Jeep) about the parking brake recall notice, and so I now have a copy of the recall letter for that and will have it done when the machine is running again. But in the previously listed URL, I noticed several recalls of concern assuming I'm reading the page correctly. There's these:

TSB # Date TSB Title

624 FEB 95 Recall - Fuel Tank Sending Unit Gasket 625 DEC 94 Recall - Fuel Sending Unit 681 MAY 96 Recall - Catalytic Converter 680 MAR 96 Recall - Catalyst Failure

I checked, and my father never received any notices about these whatsoever... which especially concerns me because of those emissions recalls, seeing as the Jeep failed emissions a few years back and needed a new catalytic converter in order to pass, which ended up costing several hundred dollars.

In the case of all these recalls, do I need some kind of official letter from the manufacturer before I can have them performed? And with the emissions recalls, is there a chance that I could submit the invoices for the emissiosn repair work performed (even though it was a few years ago) and get a refund from them? The money would definitely help with the repair costs, plus it'd be nice to get the other issues resolved. I don't particularly want to give the Jeep back to my brother until everything is ironed out and a-ok. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Bryan

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

I got that recall notice in early 1996 and had the converter replaced about June of that year...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I never got any of those recalls either (I have a '93 YJ). I did however raise an unholy stink about the gas tank gasket recall when I heard about it in 94 (from word of mouth, not by any official notificaiton or website). It was something that I finally had to kick up to the owner of the dealership before I got any satisfaction. Alot of ranting and raving later, I got back a jeep with a gas tank leak. It was taken in to get a recall item fixed that MAY cause a leak, and was returned with a bonafide leak. Complaining to them did not help, so years later when I got in an accident, the collision shop actually fixed it for me.

That's one reason why I'm actually reluctant to take it down to get that parking brake fixed....I'm sure when they're done I'll have no brakes at all.

Don't even get me started on when I called another dealer for warranty work (after some paint issues on the passenger door). I was told "did you buy it here?" to which I replied no. "Well, then you will be the absolute last person in the que, and if someone comes in during the waiting time, you will be pushed behind them".

Guess who I wil never, ever patronize for anything ever.....that last dealership which happens to reside in Batavia NY.

Sorry for the ranting, that story is a hot button for me.

Later

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I have 27 years as a mechanic, but only a few with a dealer. When a warrantee or recall repair gets to the dealer's shop, the factory will pay the shop considerably less than a customer would. The job usually falls to the guy with the least amount of seniority (or brown-nosing skill), and experience. No one wants to do the job, as the pay sucks(commission), but dealers have to do it by contract with the manufacturer. You would probably get the job done better and faster by an independent shop, but you will have to pay for it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Speaking of recalls, my new Governor drives a Hummvee

Reply to
Paul Calman

...and he talks funny, too!

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Most people didn't have much of a problem with our last Governor/actor.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Actually, the citizens of California have the right to choose as their leaders anyone they like, providing the individual(s) meet all the legal qualifications. Californians, as a whole, obviously take Arnold quite seriously and it's very possible he will fulfill their high expectations. Despite his on-screen persona(s), he is indeed an astute businessman and quite an intelligent individual, and even with those disadvantages, he may turn out to be a good governor. ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Approximately 10/8/03 10:29, Paul Calman uttered for posterity:

Only until the next recall.....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

...of the Governor or the Hummer?

(I know, but I had to ask that or half the people here wouldn't get it...) ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Approximately 10/8/03 11:33, TJim uttered for posterity:

And if not, much like Minnesota, are *you* willing to tell him otherwise?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Hmmm... That kinda seems like the beginnings of a trend, doesn't it... What's Hulk Hogan doing these days? Is Lou Ferigno (sp?) still alive? There are lots of states left...

Reply to
TJim
5 in fact !

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

v good.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: : Only until the next recall..... :

Reply to
Dave Milne

The first thing you should have done was ask for the district rep's name and address. Dealers are required by their contract to perform all maintenance and repairs with out regard as to purchase location.

My experience with a recall repair was the exact opposite. Last summer my daughter called late one Sunday evening from the middle of nowhere Michigan. The radiator fluid completely drained from the cooling system of her car. a T-bird. Being the dotting father I am :), I drove four or five hours to bring her a fresh car as she and her college roommates had to be at work the next day and I didn't. To make this story longer, the car had been towed to a local shop near where the breakdown happened and I stayed over to see to the repairs. The local shop said it would be atleast 4 or 5 days to repair the car and would cost a couple of hundred dollars. I had them take the car to the nearest Ford dealership, about 20 miles. The dealer also said 4 or 5 days. Ok, I called the nearest Enterprise Car Rental, about 20 miles, they picked me up and took me to the agency office, another Ford dealership as it happened. On Friday I returned for the T-bird it had been repaired at, to my supprise, no cost. It turned out that the part that had failed, causing the leak, was on a dealership recall notice, i.e. Repair if encountered. This Dealer was a long way from where we bought the car originally and totally out of warranty but was repaired with absolutely no problem or complaint.

Dave Nagel-

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/8/03 13:16, TJim uttered for posterity:

Hulk Hogan was spotted at the Colts/Tampa game in the audience by one of the cameras recently. Lou Ferrigno is also still alive, but not doing much hulkwork these days.

Self would prefer someone like Raider Bill Romanowski, who may be looking for a new career if his concussions don't improve.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Speaking of uttering for posterity... Remember "Haystacks Calhoun"?

Reply to
TJim

I understand and know how it works, and I also understand that I'm not going to get the red carpet treatment. But that comment and attitude was way out of line.

I also know they were'nt refusing me, just discouraging me. Which they did successfully.

When I was looking for a new vehicle, or when the jeeper needed any work done, or when I started working on it myself and needed parts, I thought of that quote.

I have had the jeep for 10 years now, and spent alot of money over the years on repairs and parts (I live where rust is the state color). They got zippo of my money.

Later,

Tony

Reply to
Tony