Death Wobble Question

This post will be more in the line of a story, but there is a question at the end. So today I spend some time with the beloved Jeep. It all started with just wanting to finish the spare tire mount (it's trailer spindle with some 2X2 steel tubing, another day). As I had the welder out I was just looking around at things and noticed that the front axle spring perches were broken away from the axle. A buddy of mine "welded" them about a year ago or so. The welds were broken so I decided to re-weld them. After about two hours of measuring the angles, checking the service manual, and measuring again I welded the axle in place. It was almost exactly the same angle as before (tipped 1/4 degree farther back is all) Nice solid welds, no problems. And then I took it for a test drive. At about 35 I felt the strange resonance and the Jeep began to sway back and forth. I haven't seen this problem in the year since I did the SOA. I would have thought it would have shown up right away. There were no other changes to the suspension. I've read of few posts about Death Wobble, but I for the most part ignored them as they didn't apply. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I am all ears. Thanks for listening to my rambling. Troy

Reply to
Jeep Guy

I'd say you got the angle wrong. Time for some caster shims.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

suspension.

Reply to
Jeep Guy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If you are wobbling then you need more caster. Try Bill's suggestion regarding the stabilizer first.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have a 97 Jeep and within the last several months my Jeep has developed a wobble. It's most noticeable when I go around a curve and the road is bumpy. It feels like the body of the Jeep is coming off. Any ideas? We've pulled the tires off and can't see anything but we know we have a problem. Help!

Reply to
Bocoliz

I'm having the same problem on a 95 model at speeds 60 and above when I hit a bump like where pavement and a bridge meets, where do I start to look?

Reply to
Brewc53

Changing the stabilizer just masks the REAL problem. Usually it is a combination of big tires that are somewhat out of balance, something loose in the front end (look at tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, and track bar fittings), bad front end alignment and a stabilizer that has worn out trying to keep things under control. Yuo hit a bump, the out of balance takes over, the wheel precesses (wobbles), and the suspension pieces are too loose to control it. UGLY.

Take it to an alignment shop that knows how to deal with 4wd Jeeps and their solid axles. Have them get the alignment readings and check for the various loose parts. Take it home and replace whatever, bring it back and finish the alignment. My local shop put mine on the rack, told me what parts to replace and sent me on my way. Came back a few days later to finish the job, only got charged for one trip. Nice of them!

You need to fix it ASAP. A bad case of death wobble can start at

60mph and won't stop until you get it under 10mph. The time in between the two events can feel like an eternity. If you are in traffic, it might be the last thing you will ever worry about.

Cheers.

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Roy Jenson

Thanks, Earle Death wobble certainly takes your mind off of traffic. Appreciate the Information.

Reply to
Bocoliz

The jeep isn't lifted in anyway stock suspension and tires.

Reply to
Brewc53

Uneven tires Tires out of ballance Worn steering stabilizer Worn shocks Alignment out Loose control arm(s)

Reply to
DougW