detroit locker problem

Hey all,

I've got a TJ 2004 dana 25 with 33 inch tires (3 inch lift) with 4.11 gears and a detroit locker (professionally installed by a shop that does this regularly). The locker was installed over 3 years ago/50K miles ago. No wrecks or accidents, so the frame and front end alignment haven't changed.

Over the last month, the locker has started "popping" every 20-30 seconds while going down the road. I've checked tire air pressure (didn't make a difference) tire diameter was off due to very uneven wear, and put new BFG t/o's on it last week, with no change in behavior. (also had the alignment done at a shop that specializes in lifted trucks)

Seems almost like one side is "loose" and slipping a tooth on the locker "gear". When it was up on the rack at the shop, it looked like the right side was "tight" and difficult to unlock, and the left side was "loose" and easy to unlock, but the diff still locks up.

Are there any parts that are replacable in a detroit (this is standard detroit, not a gearless)?

Can I pull the locker out and do this without having to re-do the diff gear set up? (If not, the labor+parts is likely to be the same as having a new locker put in)

thanks

tim

Reply to
bonsai4tim

The AMC20 is a much stronger axle than a D35 as it has a 1.3 inch bigger ring gear and a much larger carrier plus it has 8 7/16 inch bolt hold ring gear on vs 8ea 3/8 inch ones on the D35 which are also on a smaller radius relative to axle center line too on D35 the the difference is very apparent. If the AMC 20 has had a one piece axle upgrade I would easily place it above a stock D44 in strength.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I think you should. I have been around jeeps and driving them before AMC even bought them and know the AMC 20 well. I am not a" johny come lately flash in the pan know it all" like you claim to be. You are the moot one because you do not think the ring and pinion size has any bearing on carrier design or strength or overall axle strength including axle housing itself which many like you never even remotaly consider. I have seen D35's break ring and pinion with upgraded axle but usually the axles go first. I have seen bent housing too that are not longer true. With stock tires they are about bullet proof in a old light weight Jeep but when you raise them and install bigger tires the rules change which you fail to understand. People like you think that you upgrade axle shafts and you have upgraded the whole rear end. There is a reason they make and use bigger axles and carriers but this logic escapes your limited grasp on this subject.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Exactly where has Jeff claimed that he is a "johny come lately flash in the pan know it all" ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne