Diff skid plates/protection. What's your pick?

I am looking for some diff protection. I'm tired of bashing my poor unprotected Dana30 front and Dana44 rear diff into rocks. Yes, I'm careful, but sometimes it happens ;-)

Anyway, I wanted to get you guys' (and girls) opinions on the available protection options for diff covers. The choices I'm currently considering include:

A) Crane High-Clearance Differential Covers ($185~$196)

B) Turbo City Rock-It Gliders (~$94)
C) Warn Differential Skid Plate (~$60)
D) RSE Differential Guard (~$80)
The Crane diff covers look awesome, but they're damn expensive. I like that the RSE guards use all the diff cover bolts, which means they distribute the stress around the cover better, but they leave a large portion of the diff still unprotected. The Turbo City Gliders look cool in that they fully protect the bottom of the diff and the lip of the cover, but they do cut off an additional 1/4" of clearance...plus they don't lip up very far in the front of the cover. Finally, the Warn guards definitely are priced right, but they (as all the covers except from TurboCity) do nothing to protect the bottom of the diff pumpkin, and they only use the bottom 5 or so bolts to secure, which means the stresses from impacts are not evenly spread out as well as with the RSE diff guard or the Crane cover.

What do you all like and dislike when it comes to differential protection?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Check out Poison Spyder Customs Rock Rings.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I reasearched high and low. I ended up with the Rock It Glider in the rear on my 44 and cheaped out with the Warn up front. My thoughts were, for the rear.. The Glider would be best even with the slight loss of clearance. Normally you "should" hopefully be going foreward where a rock ring wouldnt help much in the "peel" effect, so better to glide over it. There is still protection to help you glide even when backing up. Hopefully glide instead of stop dead. It has taken a beating and held up very well. Up front usually takes a beating so I went with the lower cost Warn. Thought Id use it for the time being as I had won some gift certs and used them. It has taken a hell of a beating and is holding up strong. I will say after numerous beatings on 4+ trails both front and rear covers have started leaking a bit, since the install of both skids. Maybe that was install error, but they have been hit alot. If anyone has any ideas on how to avoid this Id love to hear them. Just my opinions Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

check out

Be careful about getting a D44 one for the rear - there wasnt quite enough clearance for mine between the after market petrol skid and the diff.

Dave Milne

Thanks for the tip. Terrible website, but the diff guards look very promising and very stout. I've sent them an inquiry on pricing.

I had been thinking of the same setup as Rokihora said; the "Glider" in the back on the D-44, and something else (hadn't determined yet) for the front. I think I may go with one of these from younger-bros for the front, provided the price is reasonable.

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

There's a guy in Butler Indiana that makes covers tough as Cranes at a much lower price. Thinking about one for my 44:

I suppose I should be up front and clarify that it's not actually for sale. It's up for *auction*. ;)

Steve

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I would do the Warn gaurds. I saw them at the local 4x4 shop they are sweet and priced good. Get the black one, no chrome. The RSE may be good for a rear diff, but not for a front. They leave too much of the cover un-exposed. BTW - I have one similar to those for a D44 I will sale you. The Crane is too expensive. I can't get the other link to work.

I bought a new cover and some 1/4" steel for my D60. I formed the steel with a torch so it modeled the cover then welded the steel to the cover. It worked good. For the money and the labor a Warn would have been just as good though.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

I don't think you will be disappointed ; they are very strong 3/4" rod can't be bad. I have a D30 on the front of my TJ, and the D44 one is enormous ; I will put it on the front of my Waggy as it won't fit the TJ.

FWIW, here is the price I paid 21st March 2003 ; gives you a ballpark

D- 30 Front Diff Guard....................$ 79.95 (half ring) D-44 Full Rear Diff Guard...............$ 98.95 (full ring)

Dave Milne

Reply to
twaldron