difference between ceramic and semi-metallic

What is the difference between ceramic and semi-metallic pads? and would they be a good upgrade for my 93 jeep cherokee?

Reply to
abomb69

Not if you tow, but otherwise, yes.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The only problem with hard pad is that they can change pedal effort and they are very hard on rotors and typically require rotor replacement with every brake job. Some consider this the norm while I do not. I get 200K out of rotors with no problems because I do not use hard pads and take off factory pads when I buy a vehicle. I may change them a bit more often but I am not upset if my pads do not last 60K miles or more. Cheaper to replace pads a bit more often than pads and rotors or warped rotors too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

so I should stick with semi-metallic pads with my old rotors for now then if I want to save money.

Reply to
abomb69

Reply to
philthy

I would and if you want to try ceramic wait until you start out with fresh rotors.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I will probally just buy the autozone duralast gold brand instead of the standard lifetime warranty duralast pad.

Reply to
abomb69

Personally, I like to be able to stop when 'I' want to, no matter how steep I am pointing down or how big my tires are so I go with the highest friction pad and shoe I can find. This also normally translates to the cheapest on the shelf also provided the cheapest have rivets holding the pad onto the backing plate. I have had far too many glued pads fall off over the years so stick with rivets.

My brakes on both my Jeeps have worn down very nicely over the years without ever warping a rotor or drum. I only need to replace hard parts if something breaks, not from over wear.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I will probally just buy the autozone duralast gold brand instead of the
Reply to
Mike Romain