dipstick tube question

OK, this will sound like a stupid question but I just went to check my oil level. I pulled on the dipstick and the whole dipstick *and* the tube it goes into came right out. I looked at the tube and don't see anything that looks like would keep it in place. When I reinserted the tube, it goes waaaaay down inside of the hole, like there's nothing to keep it in about the position it needs to be in. So now since I don't know how deep the tube goes in the hole, any dipstick reading is meaningless. Anybody ever had this happen to them? It's a

304. Thank you.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:40:57 -0500, travis shared the following:

I guess what I need is the exact measurement of how many inches the dipstick tube protrudes out of the block so that I can fashion something to hold my dipstick tube in the right place. Thanks so much to anyone who could provide me with this measurement.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Me too. The dip stick tube should have a positive stop, or there should be a lip inside the block to stop it. I have had a dip stick come out before, but I can't remember how I figured out where it went so that accurate measurements could be done.

Reply to
CRWLR

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:07:45 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Me three. :-)

Yeah, that's what I thought.

If nobody can give me the measurement of how much of the tube should be protruding from the block then I'll have to change the oil and push it in until the dipstick reads full and then I'll know how far in the tube goes.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

You are the guy wondering what that bang bang noise is when the oil is still somewhat thick, right???

I wonder what a 4" chunk of steel pipe sounds like when the crank is beating it around?

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:04:31 -0500, Mike Romain shared the following:

I don't know. The first time I heard the sound was just after getting off of the trails, so the oil was far from being thick. I'd been offroading for about an hour and before that had driven about 20 miles to get to the trails.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

I was implying that the missing piece of the dipstick tube with the bump/depth stop on it might be down in the oil pan.

Breaking the tube off could be an off road related thing. I have had sticks come up and pop my fan belt off, so they can hit hard.

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:30:10 -0500, Mike Romain shared the following:

Ouch! I hadn't even considered the possibility that my dipstick tube could have broken off and be down in there. I'll have to look very closely at the end of it and see if it looks like it's a machined end or if it looks like it broke there.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

The same thing happened to my 258, um, about a decade and a half ago, it just came out of the block along with the dipstick. The dipstick tube was then an off-the-shelf replacement part that I gently tapped back into place with a hammer and a block of wood. You local parts jobber should be able to order one for you. IIRC the part was swedged to give it the proper height when set.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton