Distributor Cap Chirpping...Why? Please help!

99 Cherokee Sport Lmd 4.0 IL 6

I've gotten great help here before, so I'll try once again:

At about 75K miles, the distributor started sending out loud, high pitch chirping sounds, like metal to metal rubbing.

I pulled the cap and noticed a fair amount of "crud" on the rotor and on each electrod inside the cap.

I replaced the cap and rotor, and the chirping stopped for about day, then started up again.

I pulled the new cap and noticed "arching" wear patterns on the electrods, but nothing else (the new cap was on for about 500 miles).

I replaced the cap and rotor a 2nd time, but the the chirping started up right away.

I can push on the cap to change the chirping/rubbing sound. Sometimes there is no noise at all coming out (usually for less than a minute), but sometimes the noise is quite LOUD. I'm very confused.

Why would this happen?

Reply to
Football God

I found the inside of the cap on my new to me 96 Cherokee just like yours. Does the shaft have sideways play? Mine had a lot and it must be a common problem as the local AutoZone had one in stock. Easy to replace. Just one important part Note exactly where the rotor is pointing before taking the old one out. Then when you have a new one put it back in the exact place. The distributor is held from turning so there's no timing there, just getting the gear tooth back in position is the only trick. When you put it in the rotor turns. You must calculate what direction and amount. You can do this when removing the old one.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I do not know if this applies to the newer distributors, but on the ones that have a mechanical timing advance inside, their is a place to oil it that very few places seem to know about or do. There is a felt wick under the rotor that needs engine oil added to it. This lubricates the timing advance plates.

Maybe yours is dry?

The other thing to do is to grab the rotor and see if it has any side to side slop. Maybe it just plain has a bad bushing in it, I think I have heard of some newer ones being bad.

Mike

Football God wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Football God did pass the time by typing:

Oddly, it is.

That's oil vapor sneaking up and getting deposited in the cap.

The bushing in your distributor is shot. Time to replace the distributor.

DougW

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. The bushing is shot. You will need a new distributor. I too wasted time and money with new caps and rotors, but the only fix is a new distributor. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

98TJ4.0

Reply to
G.Sandhu