dolly and hammer advice?

I'm buying a 1/2 ton utility trailer, dunno the manufacturer but it was purchased new in 1948 through Sears. It has straight sides, not the dog-legged Bantam sides, and the fenders are more like wheel pants than the simple arch Bantam ones. Nice little thing that need a little work and paint to be presentable.

The fenders have a couple of palm-sized dings in them and I'd like to pop them back out and do the bare-minimum of filler, but I've never done any metal-shaping body work. A poke around the web turned up a few sites that briefly discuss "off-dolly hammering," which seems to be the technique that I'll need -- hold the dolly as an anvil on the back of the dent and hammer around it until the dent comes forward. I know what the tools look like, I've just never used them. Anyone want to offer a bit more detail, like how hard to hit, how far apart to space hammer blows, how to know when to use the dolly as an anvil, that sort of thing?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ive seen several new cars with plastic fenders now - imagine ! Great paint technology - the paint didn't craze or crack when my backside leant against it !

Dave Milne

Lee,

Usually any degree of dent includes a degree of metal stretch or fatigue. You can do the dolly off method but you may also want to use the pick and file method also. No one method will do all of it. A shrinking hammer and torch, will also be needed for larger more stretched dents. I can "photograph" a couple of pages from my book on off dolly to your email addy. Unless you are near Madison, WI. I could loan the books to you. FYI, Wal-Mart should have a Haynes autobody repair for under $13.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains