Dome lights flicker on/off when I go around a turn or drive on bumpy roads- 98 JGC

Is there a motion activated switch for the dome lights in a 98 JGC?

All of the door switches still have strong spring resistance, so I doubt it could be one of those.

What else could cause the dome lights to flicker?

Reply to
Cappy2112

Nope

Loose wire or broken wire in the door or harnes that is finding a ground somewhere? Not sure if your system uses a relay, but when relays get old and the springs are about shot, they can act like that. It's not usual though.

Reply to
DougW

I do hear a clicking when the lights come on, as though relay contacts are closing.

Reply to
Cappy2112

Another thought... Sometime in the evolution of the Jeep, they moved the door pins (light switch) into the lock mechanism. Are the door mounts loose or has the door shifted at all? I think this happened in the WJ.

Reply to
DougW

into the lock mechanism. Are the door mounts loose

The 95 ZJ with the illuminated entry option has a fuse in the panel on the very right end of the dash, just under the AC door gasket. There is a timer relay that can keep the lights on for a few minutes after exit that can misbehave. I had the rear door liftgate bulb burn out and all sorts of wierdness happened until I dug out the FSM wiring diagrams and chased it down.

Yours sounds like some connection somewhere loose if it only happens on bumps. That connection could be inside a bulb about to go in addition to the usual wiring cruft.

Reply to
Lon