Door Removal

The weather this week in NC has been great, and it is suppose to stay that way for a while. So I decided to take my doors off my 2002 TJ this evening. This is the first time I have done it, and I love it. I was wondering though, what types of laws are there for mirrors, I see a lot, and I mean a lot of Wranglers down here that don't have mirrors. I know they pass cops, do the cops just not care? I also scratched up the nuts that hold the door on, do you guys just use touch up paint on them, or not even bolt them on?

Thanks C.G.

Reply to
Casey

Your local DMV is online and the rules of the road are there somewhere.

Here in Ontario Canada, we only 'have' to have one mirror, in other provinces, we have to have a drivers side one too.

You can get brackets to mount the mirror on the hinge or get CJ ones that mount on the hinge.

One friend got a cheap set of mirrors from a Honda shop. They fit right in the hinge hole, hold tight with one nut, don't vibrate and look good.

Mike

Casey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey Mike....only the rear view needed in ON?!?!

Dam....that's AWESOME!! Cuz I was looking at those windshield corner frames that move the mirror off the door and on to the body.....

I know BC asks for 2 mirrors. --both sides or rear and drivers side.

Reply to
SB

In CALIFORNIA (your mileage may vary), one is required to have two mirrors that can see at least 200 feet to the rear. The required mirror is the one mounted to the left door. The options for the second morror is the windshield mounted mirror, OR the mirror mounted to the right side door. The windshield is the preferred mirror, but if there is a load, or the rear view is blocked for any reason, then the right side mirror is required. The way I read the rules, one can elect to not have the windshield mounted mirror, and only have the mirrors mounted to the doors.

Having said that, the doors can be taken off. In this case, the mirrors must be attached generally in the same location. There is a bracket that Sun Performance sells that allows you to relocate the mirrors when the doors are taken off. I don't think the right side mirror can be seen very well using these brackets, and you may want to only use the left side mirror and the mirror that is mounted to the windshield.

Reply to
CRWLR

For sure, though I do like to have at least the drivers side mirror.

Our DMV is online and it says we need one mirror that can view 200' or something like that.

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
David C. Moller
200 ft or 200degrees? lol wait...just thought about that. a flat mirror is only 180deg of plane...lol

Ya nevermind....I'm gonna go back to watching the hockey game!

Reply to
SB

I've seen guys driving with no doors and their windshields down. Local cruising roads not highway....but an offence anyhow. Depends the cops moods and if they're upset with the mornings donut rodeo!

Reply to
SB

NC Mirror Laws (

§ 20-126. Mirrors. (a)No person shall drive a motor vehicle on the streets or highways of this State unless equipped with an inside rearview mirror of a type approved by the Commissioner, which provides the driver with a clear, undistorted, and reasonably unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle; provided, a vehicle so constructed or loaded as to make such inside rearview mirror ineffective may be operated if equipped with a mirror of a type to be approved by the Commissioner located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of such vehicle. A violation of this subsection shall not constitute negligence per se in civil actions. Farm tractors, self-propelled implements of husbandry and construction equipment and all self-propelled vehicles not subject to registration under this Chapter are exempt from the provisions of this section. Provided that pickup trucks equipped with an outside rearview mirror approved by the Commissioner shall be exempt from the inside rearview mirror provision of this section. Any inside mirror installed in any motor vehicle by its manufacturer shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of this subsection. (b) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate upon the highways of this State any vehicle manufactured, assembled or first sold on or after January 1, 1966 and registered in this State unless such vehicle is equipped with at least one outside mirror mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle. Mirrors herein required shall be of a type approved by the Commissioner.

As far as scratching your nuts.....

Use touch up paint to fix it, then the next time, use masking tape over the nut to protect it. I normally remove the door nuts when the soft top goes on and don't put them back on until the hard top goes back on.

"Casey" wrote in message news:vzihc.25955$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Chad Fraker

Not having a Honda dealer here I bought Harley mirrors. Under $20 US and they fit right into the door hinges. And they look cool!

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

havent seen my "nuts" in years. never bothered to put them back on after taking the doors off the first time.

you can get mirror movers from Sun Performance, moves the stock mirror from the door to the body. keeps you legal, although with a lot of softtops its really hard to see the passenger side mirror.

Reply to
jbjeep

That is totally legit to do in most places and if you have side mirrors like my CJ, running with the windshield down is quite ok here in Ontario Canada.

In Ontario, you only have to have a working wiper, nothing else, including glass...

Seriously!

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

i didn't see my nuts until I lost a bunch of weight....can see my toes now too!

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So does anyone know where I can get some cheap mirrors? Like at Autozone, or Advanced Auto. Part number would be great.

Thanks for all the info.

C.G.

Reply to
Casey

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The People's Republic of California will give you an invitation to lunch with the judge if one drives with the windshield down on the street. The trouble is, the judge likes very expensive lunches, and he probably will not let you sit with him. Basically what happens is, you get this very nice invitation on a triplicate form. On the appointed day, you show up with a host of other people, and everybody springs for lunch and goes home hungry.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That is weird isn't it?

The wind just blasts!

I had mine up to 60 and said forget it and dropped down to 50 and just pulled over to let folks pass.

It was tolerable at 50.. Just....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to