door woes

hey everyone, i have a 97 TJ, and a few months ago the drivers side door just stopped working. i cannot open it from the outside unless i strategically apply force above the handle while pulling the handle open. it opens fine from the inside. I didnt get into any accident and i cant see any dents, i dont remember anything that would cause this to happen. I tried to fix this myself, and when i couldnt i asked a mechanic who was already looking at my jeep to see if he could fix it. long story short he just ended up making it worse. Is there any easy solution to this, or do i need to take it to a more experience mechanic? Thanks for any advice :) Nicole

Reply to
Nicole Mason

It sounds like you need a new door handle for the outside.

The linkage for the handle on the outside and for the inside is separated. Since the inside works OK, then the problem must be specific to the outside.

You can remove the inside door panel to expose the linkage that is not working correctly.

My brother had a problem with his door handle on his CJ, snd the new handle only cost $50 at the dealership.

Reply to
CRWLR