Drip. Drip. Drip.

Arugh. My 96 XJ has sprung a leak when it rains. Water drips from the leading edge of the headliner near the mirror onto the shifter console. Windshield was replaced about 8 years ago. Anyone experience this before? Suggestions? it does have the factory full-length roof rack.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Could be a leak from the window seal. Anything other and I'd expect the headliner would be real wet.

You need a nice quiet day or a garage.

Turn on the fan (not recirc) Light a cig (or incense) then slowly move it around the window frame on the outside till you can see the blowing smoke. (you could use someone inside but less stuff gets burned working the other way around.) :)

Sealing the leak depends on where it is. I've used silicone injected with a big ass horse-needle. But not every one has one of those floating about.

Reply to
DougW

I would suggest a urethane windshield sealer rather than silicone - thinner consistency for better penetration and silicone has some issues with rust when in contact with bare metal.

It also usually comes in a tube with a long, thin spout for you retro types who don't stock needles ;-)

Reply to
Will Honea

I've got a big assed horse needle, but I use it for injecting marinade in meat. Ain't about to use it for urethane or silicone. I am gonna use some of that urethane under the windshield channel on my wife's YJ. I'm getting tired of the screws backing out, and I'm too cheap to buy the threaded insert repair kit.

Reply to
Old Crow