driveline angles

01 TJ, 4 inch pro comp lift, sye kit, 4.56 d44 rear, cv driveshaft, 33x12.50's on 15x10 rims and transfer case plate in stock position. The kit came with the one inch spacers to drop the plate, but I had them removed by driveline mechanic.

I've been chasing around a vibration I have that starts becoming noticable at around 2800 rpms in 5th gear. Sorry for not having a speed but I haven't gotten around to getting the speedo gear needed. The driveline shop that did most of the work on it for me says that the angles are fine, and I'm wondering why I feel vibes going at this high speed.

Is there an easy way of checking out the angles n such myself? Everything under there is reasonably new, so I think it may not be something failing on me... what do I need to look for?

I'm considering putting the spacers back on to see if it eliminates the vibes... I know I gotta support the transfer case plate cuz it's holding the transfer case, about how heavy is it? I'm prolly going to use a floorjack. I just hate the way it looks.

I'm open to any suggestions please and thanks

Troy

Reply to
Troy

If you drop one side of the tcase plate at a time, you can put in the spacers with no problem. I would still support it with a jack, but it is not a big deal. Just loosen all of the bolts up before replacing them one at a time. That's how I did it anyway.

I would definately put the spacers in to see if the vibe goes away. If it does, then you have found the source of the vibe and you can go back to your mechanic to get the pinion angle tweaked. You might need adjustable arms to do it.

Good luck. Dennis

97 Wrangler, 4-5" "mutt" lift kit
Reply to
Dennis Cox

Ok well I got under the thing the other day and was checking stuff out after reading a bit about how things are supposed to be (supposedly). Heh

With my cv driveshaft, I read the rear diff/pinion should be angled up towards the transfer case, mine is pointing somewhat forward. I'm pretty sure it should be higher towards the transfer case.

I read in the service manual about the adjustable upper arms, and I'm assuming factory ones...

The pro comp lift only replaced the lower arms, the upper arms are the factory ones. I'm not too thrilled about this lift now that I'm thinking about it, but anyways... Is anyone out there running adjustable upper arms for their tj? What should I be looking at here? any suggestions are welcome

Troy

Reply to
Troy