Dumb question of Jeep Lift..

I've got a question that will sound stupid. I've got a 1990 Jeep Wrangler Islander with a 2" body lift on it and running 31" tires. How can i tell if its also has a suspension lift or not? I'm just trying to determine what it has but without taking it somewhere and sounding stupid I figured i'd post a question here and sound stupid instead.

Thanks, a few responses to my previous post helped a lot.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

Are the springs flat? Are you able to take a picture? I'm guessing you don't have a lift.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Measure the distance from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the rubber snubber mounted on the frame. Brand new stock springs measure about 2-1/2", decent springs for that age will measure about

1-1/2", less than that is quite comm> I've got a question that will sound stupid. I've got a 1990 Jeep
Reply to
RoyJ

Bill,

Its more like the bottom picture on the link you posted there... so i'm assuming it doesn't have a suspension lift to it, just the 2" body lift. The 2" does give it a little bit of height I noticed but I'm thinking of adding around a 2" suspension (no more than 3") to it now since it seems I don't have a suspension lift and I need new shocks etc... etc...

Would that be a pretty good idea? I don't want to get all crazy where I need a ladder to get into it by any means. And I don't really want to go up in tire size at all. So if I add a 2 - 3" suspension lift does anyone see anything wrong with that? And any recommendations on a reasonable Kit (w/shocks) to get into without spending the whole piggy bank?

Thanks again to all. I will try and post a link to pics of my jeep soon.

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

Aside from potential drive line problems and the steering getting all whacky on you, no, I don't see any problems with a 2" suspension lift. None that money can't fix, anyway.

;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I would say your best bet is to get a Rubicon Express 2.5" spring lift. It's got all new springs and shocks. It will look dumb with a 2.5" spring lift and 2" body lift, so I would remove the body lift in favor of stock mounts or 1" mounts. Body lift sucks.

for prices. Look under Wrangler YJ.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

So I should remove the body lift kit (which seems fun since I didn't install it or know all the parts to take off), which I'll have to find some instructions for... but if I do that then I would probably go with the 3.5 - 4" suspension lift kit.... by doing that is it going to look dumb with the 31" wheels or will i need to go with the 33" wheels?..... yep money solves problems but i don't want to spend it all on the jeep... i have another project going on soon... a 1964 Mercury Parklane... yep a big ol' boat....

Reply to
NewbieJeepGuy

Generally speaking body lifts, especially more than 1 inch, are renown for causing a lot of problems.

Reply to
billy ray

I haven't been following this thread very closely but I think that what they want to tell you is generally speaking body lifts, especially more than 1 inch, are renown for causing a lot of problems. If you want or need a lift there are better ways to do it.

Especially by a newbie.

Reply to
billy ray