Dumb Wiper Question

ok guys, stupid question here....My wipers never worked on my 89 yj 2.6 until I fixed the wiper switch and breaker/fuse issue. Now they work great, but!!!! I see pictures of some YJ's with with wipers all the way down to the right, but mine always stay 1/3 of the way up the windshield to the right. Never drop down all the way.. My wiring diagram mentions a park switch position. I have a manual, is this auto or manual position? Some YJ's I see have the wiper position like mine.... Should I waste my time trouble shooting this or is this NORMAL? Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Robb S via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:

Park position is where the blades go when the wiper is shut off.

Both left and right blades are run with one motor and a linkage so check where the right blade stops on it's upward motion. You could take the wiper arm off and rotate it down. But first check the linkage to see if it's been bent by trying to park against ice or snow buildup on the windshield. If the linkage looks good then just remove and rotate the passenger side down a bit.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
RoyJ

Doug, I think you mis-understood my question. Both wipers are in the same position. They just don't go all the way down. off, run whatever. I was just curious because I see some jeeps with them all the way down like a normal car, and some at a 1/3 angle on the windshield like mine. I bought this 89 YJ last year from a guy for $2000 with multiple prblems. One, was the wiper, turn signal lever was broken off apparently when he hit a rock off roading and bent the right spring. I fixed all that, except for the curiously strange wiper position. This is my first jeep, so forgive me please. I have friends with jeep, but different years.....I beg for forgiveness...don't whip me please.......well maybe a little Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

thanks roy!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It doesn't look like a Jeep is supposed to look when they lay flat like that. That's the only thing I don't like about the TJs.

But, for CJs and YJs, what you describe is normal. You can pop the arms off and reposition them if you want, but then they won't wipe as far to the left as they did.

Also, in the back of JP magazine, I remember seeing a kit you could buy to make your YJ wipers lay flat like the TJ. But it was kind of expensive. I think it required a new motor/linkage because to get a full sweep with them starting at a flat park position, the blades have to sweep out more than the normal YJ sweep of 90 degrees.

Sorry I d> ok guys, stupid question here....My wipers never worked on my 89 yj 2.6

Reply to
Clap Trap

haha queens university web page lol on the operation of wipers never seen that crs listed in there program outline. funny I'm from Kingston and to think queens has such expertise on wiper blades. I should go and see it they can get my 89 wiper blades to park.

Reply to
wraithyjeep

I think you are noticing TJ's with the flat wipers. CJ's and YJ's have them up on the glass. TJ's 'pay' for the new design though. They have to take the wipers off to lower the windshield, we don't.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

maybe I should go to queens university for a class on wipers. Thanks for the education everyone. Probably is the tj's I'm seeing with the wipers down. One less thing for me to chase after on this thing.. THANKS!! Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
Clap Trap

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I believe so. I am 99% sure the TJ arms will hit so have to come off.

Mike

Clap Trap wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yep.

My TJ is very nice, but if it was feasible, I would revert the wiper design, and put the turn signals back on the grill.

Reply to
Derrick Hudson