electrical

hi, i have a 98 cherokee sport. my problem is that the voltage gauge keeps pegging all the way to 19, i had my alternater tested and it's good. i checked all my connections, they're all good. my battery is brand new. anyone know what's wrong with it? thanks

Reply to
shell

If the alternator/voltage regulater checked out, you may have a bad guage. Try putting a meter on the battery terminals while the engine is running as a cross-check.

Reply to
Bruce Yelen

i forgot to mention my headlights brighten up when the gauge pegs.

Reply to
shell

you must check the regulater that is probably built into the alternator. you can buy a regulater at any good parts store. pep boys? john

Reply to
johnny

If the lights brighten, the voltage is indeed going up. But if the battery is porperly hooked up and working ok, it will put a ceiling on the voltage. Of course all the extra power will go into overcharging the battery which will shortly fry it completely.

So your choices are:

-bad gauge (but the lights brighten so probably not)

-bad regulator (but you said you had it checked or did you just get the output current checked but not the interal regualtor?)

-Bad battery (supposed to be new)

-Bad cables to the battery (you supposedly checked those?)

I'd be quite reluctant to drive this without gett> i forgot to mention my headlights brighten up when the gauge pegs. >

Reply to
RoyJ

You need to get that looked at.

Unfortunately I 'think' the regulator is part of the $3000.00 computer instead of a relatively cheap fix like inside the alternator.

They figured out a great new way to screw folks with that BS.

$3K for a set of diodes worth less than $5.00.

Mike

shell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you spent less time talking out your ass, and a little more time doing research, I'm sure even you could figure out that the diodes are still in the alternators, computers cost more like $300 than $3000, AND they're WAY more reliable.

Don't panic just because you don't understand it.

Did you take your pills today?

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So are you willing to back up this latest bull shit post?

Where is the voltage regulator in the newer DC Jeeps?

Is it in the alternator or in the computer?

What 'does' a 'new' computer cost? For sure it ain't no 300 bucks.

You don't have to try and confuse with every post. If you can't constructively contribute, then why bother to show how much of an ass you are with every post?

Mike

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sorry to change this great thread, but how are you doing Mike? Feeling OK these days? KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Hanging in there, thanks. Taking it one day at a time.

Not doing particularly well though. Neck and shoulder are still really messed up and just driving the CJ on the road hurts like hell with no drugs in me. With good drugs and I can wheel a 'little', but burn out fast. Still managed to crack the frame, break the rad in half and punch out a gas line last week though... LOL! :-)

The biggest piss off is I am fast loosing my sight in one eye and the Doctors haven't figured out if it is from the stroke bouncing off the door frame gave me or if the guts of the eye are torn up from the impact. Still have a pile more of them to go to.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Im sorry to hear that, you are good people. At least you got to break up your rig abit! Pain meds are both a life saver and a pain in the ass. they never really work when you need them to and everyone worries about you taking them. I took them for two years getting over a surgery. I had to alternate meds to get them to be effective. I dont need them now but at the time it felt like I would have to take them forever. Get better, Ill say an extra prayer for you. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Hang in their Mike, I got a friend that was really messed up in an offroad accident too and nearly two years later, he's still recovering. He also has major eye problems and cannot yet even drive yet, not even sure if he'll ever drive again due to the eye problems.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Ditto.

-Bill

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Oh, I think I see the problem here. My balls are right here swinging, where they belong. Yours are attached to a return address. You have misplaced your balls, Billy!

I'd be more concerned with your brain though. Maybe you should go looking for that before you worry too much about your other 'little' problems.

Yeah, I could have suggested that, but then I'd look as stupid as you do. Flashing headlights don't indicate a regulator needs to be replaced. It indicates a problem that needs to be looked at and diagnosed. Not wildly throwing parts at it, as you always suggest.

Anything that would make the computer see incorrect voltage could cause this problem. Bad grounds (Mike should have been all over this instead of having a panic attack and whining about computers), bad power connections, etc. Could be a shorted field driver circuit. It may even be a computer/regulator, but you have to cover the basics first, as always. In 20 years of working on Jeep electrical and drive ability, I've replaced ONE computer because the regulator wasn't working, and that was damaged by a shorted wiring harness.

IMO, it's irresponsible to tell somebody to replace a part without checking the whole system out first.

But then you're more concerned with your 'little balls' than responsibility.

Reply to
bllsht

I will always stand behind my posts.

It is >> >$3K for a set of diodes worth less than $5.00.

In case you haven't heard, diodes don't go in the regulator, no matter where the regulator is.

For the most part, between $300 and $600, some are close to $1000, but that's pretty rare. A far cry from $3000, wouldn't you say?

It's my fault you're so easily confused? I was replying to your tantrum about computers. I'd say your post was probably real confusing for the OP. I was trying to insert some sanity to follow up your panic stricken post.

Well, if you think 'assuming' a computer will fix his problem is constructive, we're never gonna agree, and frankly, I thought you sounded more like an ass in your post than I did. At least mine was based in fact, not fear of the unknown.

Read my reply to your friend Billy for some tips. I'm not gonna type it again here.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill your original answer on the alternator was so far off I didn't even bother replying. I don't like how bllsht goes about answering many of the posts but his answer was technically correct while yours was off the mark. You may be 62 but that doesn't also mean you're not behind the times on how things work on more modern vehicles.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to