Electrical Problem

Hi folks, I have an electrical problem with my 2002 TJ 6 cyl, manual, no a/c.

I will come back to the Jeep and turn the key and the gauges go all nuts and it does the clicking sound like when the battery is low. We have correlated it to when the Jeep is pointing uphill, and seems to work OK when level or downhill. Where do I start with this? I am guessing some connector is loose or needs cleaning....

Vagueness department: My son had this happen yesterday. Not sure how he got it started at his job. Worked fine for me today in the driveway, where it was pointing slightly downhill, then I backed it into another driveway spot which is slightly uphill and it is stuck there right now and he is not here to tell me what he did :). Therefore this is all my clues at the moment.

Thanks folks, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Tomes, I wonder if the battery is shifting when pointing uphill and the terminals get lose and dont make good contact. Are the battery terminals and the battery tray tight? Other than that, I've never heard of that problem before. Good luck.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Thanks Jo. That's what I just finished doing, checking that out. This morning I had the kids help me push the Jeep to a downhill spot and it was still dead. So much for the angle idea. I cleaned the posts and the clamps and it started right up. I'm hoping it is just that. It all was tight, just needed a shine up I suppose. The angle might have nudged the battery slightly, dunno. We will see if it happens again.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks Bill. Tried the Fonzie and it laughed at me - no effect. I am hoping it does not come to this, yet thanks for the link if it goes that far. See my other post... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Seems fine now. I like problems that are of zero cost to fix. I find out some more clues that add to this making sense to me. Zac says that he jump started it to get it going, and then it ran rough and would not idle without catching it with the gas pedal when the jumper cables were removed. That seems like a confused computer because the battery was not actually connected to the system due to the corrosion. I think that Jo had this one nailed.

Now I have another sway bar problem for which I will create another thread. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes