Engine dies and can't figure out why

Hi All,

My Dad has a 1942 GPW that we use on some hilly property, which has developed a problem that we can't seem to solve. Basically the engine will just quit running for no apparent reason. This used to happen rarely but is becoming much more common.

After it dies, it won't start until we leave the jeep sit for 20-40 minutes and it will then start and run great. It seems to happen mostly on a slight incline but we still go up many hills without a problem. Engine temperature doesn't seem to be a factor either, as it happens when the weather is hot or cold, and when it's been running for a long time or not. Also, once when trouble-shooting, it wasn't getting a spark at the plugs, but I haven't been there to check if this is always the case.

Based on some suggestions I've replaced the fuel pump, and the distributor cap (which we noticed was falling apart inside), and the spark plugs and wires at the same time. Now it runs real smooth, but still will die.

It's now suggested that it could be the coil, or dirt in the float bowl, but I'm hoping someone has solved this before and can point me at the cause. Because the Jeep is at a vacation property, it's hard to try one thing just to wait till the next trip to see if it's still a problem.

TIA....

Reply to
GPW owner

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I would be thinking points and condenser. Maybe even the hold down foot on the distributor. I have seen that rusty on some old engines so the points or distributor wasn't grounded.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi All,
Reply to
Mike Romain

OOOO.. Points! Now there is something I bet quite a few folks these days know nothing about. :) (1)

Lemme try to remember.. the little braided wire corrodes, the points wear and don't match flat, the spring sproings its last sproing, the condenser goes out and your radio picks up only the buzzzzzzzzz station just before the points arc out. And a feeler gauge is not for setting spark plug gaps.

(1)Except the car nuts and us older than dirt folk.

Reply to
DougW

I agree!

I had a 1974 Mustang that died suddenly and wouldn't start. Twenty minutes later it started and ran for 10 minutes. The problem was the condenser (capacitor).

I would suspect the condenser failing and shorting the coil input to ground, an overheated coil, the points temporarily welding together (or severely pitted to make bad contact) or possibly a defective distributer cap/rotor.

I would disconnect the condenser temporarily when it fails and see if it starts. If that works, replace it immediately or you will certainly weld your points together in a very short time.

Merrill

I believe your DougW wrote:

Reply to
merrill

Reply to
merrill

Sorry, don't know what happened there. My mouse is acting erratically.

It only takes 1 minute to set the timing after removing the distributer. And for the few dollars it would cost, I would change the coil (and check the ground wire) because it is probably ready to fail anyway.

Merrill

merrill wrote:

Reply to
merrill

Glad to know someone else owns a GPW. I have a 1943.

Replacing points and condensor would be a good start. These are just tune up items for that engine. If you still have the problem then replace the coil. The system is so simple, not like modern cars with computers and a bunch of sensors!

GPW owner wrote:

Reply to
nrs

I was thinking and remembering one car that up and died when hot. It was hard to figure until I checked the points. The fiber bumper had worn down so the gap was really small when cold. When hot, parts expanded and closed the gap.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I agree!
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The jeep has been upgraded to 12v, so I ordered a new Borg/Warner coil from

. I also have a new condenser andpoints from when I got the tune-up kit and replaced the distributor capa few months ago.

I should be able to install the three parts in a couple of weeks and I'll report back if it did the trick....

Reply to
GPW owner