Engine dies out

My mail from 07.05.2004

Engine dies out. Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L Automatic, 6syl. 1988 Mod Once a week or maybe one time every second week, the engine just stops. Scenario, I drive for a while and stop the engine, maybe 5 minutes later I start the engine and want to drive, then suddenly the engine just stop and no lights at all are blinking or showing any sign, they are just dead, as if the battery had been taken out. I just start up again, and the same thing happens 3-4 more times, I am able to drive maybe 2-3 meters for every time. Then the fifth time it start again, and I can drive for a week and half before the same things happens again.

I have received some advice, thank you all for that.

It took a long time for me to bother, cause it happened seldom, but I wanted to know what could cause the problem before I took the car to a one week fishing trip up in the mountain.

It seems to be the CPS, even if I have measured the resistance and it seems all right compared with another one who Mike has, and who work well.

Anyway, I had decided take the fishing trip, and follow one of the advice the next time it happened, and of cause it happened when I had to take a rest after 3 hours driving, when I started the car, it started right away, but as soon as I tried to drive it stopped again. I then opened the hood, and just unplugged the CPS and put it back again, it started right away, and I was able to drive again, it didn't occur anymore this week.

I know I should change the CPS, but a short question:

Will this work every time? Or will it suddenly be totally dead? `

PS I got some nice trout, and am very happy.

I also had another very positive experience with the car, and that was the fuel consumption on this trip.

I am in heaven at the moment, and love my Jeep.

Best Regards Geir R.Pettersson snipped-for-privacy@heating.no

Geir R.Pettersson

It may just be a bad connection if you're lucky. Try cleaning the plug with WD40 or Electrical Contact cleaner before replacing the CPS... at least you have it narrowed down.

: : PS I got some nice trout, and am very happy.

Amazing how a good day fishing will take your mind off car problems!!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Thanks I have done that, WD40 is always in my car. When I bought the car, the looks was not working, the Cruise control was not working, today everything works thanks to WD40.

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson

I prefer using something like ACF-50 rather then WD-40, unlike WD-40 ACF-50 is designed for electrical connections. Besides if its certified for use on Aircraft then it will work great on vehicles. Hard to find though can only buy it at an aviation parts hardware supplier.

Snow...93 XJ

Reply to
Snow

Sounds like a problem I once had which I didn't figure out until I had it towed.

Mine was due to an intermittent "disconnect" of my wiring due to bad connectors. I had installed a Juicebox upgrade which upgrades the ignition, distributor cap and wires (I had a carb at that time). The connectors that came with the kit did not splice the wires together well and as the engine vibrated the condition got worse until it did not work at all. Same thing, I'd be driving and it would stall. Then start again ok. I'd drive for a while, a good while and it'd stall. Towed it to a mechanic and it cost me

65.00 for them to find the problem and replace the connectors. One of my many lessons learnt.

I'll bet it's somewhere in your wiring.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I am sure you are right, but here in Norway I have only seen the CRC 5-56 and wd-40, at the local store WD 40 is half price of CRC 5-56 . I will look for ACF-50 in the future. Thanks for the advice.

"Snow" skrev i melding news:XVRHc.53598$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Fam_Pettersson

Similar thing was happening on my wifes Cherokee. I wiggled the connections on the computer and heard some clicking noises indicating loose conections. Pulled all the plugs and applies contact cleaner(DeOxit) and never had anty more problems.

Reply to
Jimmie

WD40 sux as a contact cleaner. Causes more trouble than it fixes.

Reply to
Jimmie

Jimmie did pass the time by typing:

Ahyup.. it just leaves goo that attracts more dirt. Use a good contact cleaner like the ones made by econoline but keep it well away from paint and use gloves, the stuff will remove oil from anything and that includes your skin. Best cleaning method is to put a bag around what your spraying and some paper towels in the bottom of the bag. Spray in the bag and use an old toothbrush to scrub the contacts.

The bag will keep any splatter away from where you don't need it.

Always wear proper eye protection!

Reply to
DougW

I will agree with the dirty contact rather than a replacement.

I found a really good contact cleaner at an electronics parts shop. It leaves nothing behind.

WD40 is still pretty good.

Mike

"Geir R.Petterss>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have been advised to solder the wires together, in case it was bad connection. I can't understand why this should happened only when the car is hot, and why it will start after 30 minutes even if I haven't touched the connector. Also, when I did follow the advice and disconnected the CPS the last time it happened, and connected again, and it worked, I decided to solder the wires together, but trough a switch. This way, I will be able to reset the CPS again just by pressing the switch if it happens again. I will continue to give update on this.

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson

Not a bad idea, just in case the 'reset' does something. If the reset does indeed have an effect, then it is time to change the part likely, good readings or not.

Mike

"Geir R.Petterss>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Back from my second fishing trip up in the mountain. After I soldered the wires together trough a switch, the engine has not stopped. So I guess it was the bad connection after all. Now the only thing that remains is the high idle at start up sometimes, I have cleaned the throttle body, but I did not take the sensor out for cleaning, I do that soon. Take care all of you out there who help me.

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson

Excellent! Thanks for the feed back.

Those plugs and sockets just aren't made to handle long term small power signals. Corrosion gets them and the corrosion level is so small they don't look dirty.

Mike

"Geir R.Petterss>

Reply to
Mike Romain