Engine drain plug?

How do I remove the engine block coolant drain plug in my 89 4 Liter? I cant seem to find an allen or t-socket that fit it. Is it a square? Where do I obtain the socket for it?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

If it is a square, it is likely a socket wrench or a socket extension will fit right in it.

Mike

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Tried a 3/8" in socket extension with no luck. I may grind it down to fit, but the plug will probably just strip out. :-(

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I can look at mine tomorrow morning to see if I have any ideas.

Do you know the extension will come up on the ball bearing and need a hard thump sometimes to fit in the hole? If it seems close enough to grind, it is the right one likely, just that ball on the side holds things up.

Mike

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oy! This is a complete PITA!

I couldn't find a ratchet or extension the right size, and a suggestion to use a square faucet valve seat wrench didn't work either. I finally got them out using a large, square tapered Snap-On Easy Out. Cleaned out the dirt in the plug, then tapped in the Easy Out. Broke them loose gently with a large crescent wrench on the Easy Out. Aside from being in sometime hopeless locations, Chrysler uses a sealant on the plugs that makes it even harder to get 'em out. I used anti-sieze on the treads when I put them back in the first time, they come right out now and don't leak.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have the same problem with my 2000 TJ. The bolt is square....bigger than the 1/4 and smaller than the 3/8. Couldn't find anything to open it.

I was able to drain 8 litres out of 10 from the rad without opening the engine block hole. Better than nothing.

I guess another way might be flush out the rad using one of those garden hose attachments to a rad house. I've seen this done although it might damage the thermostat.

best regards tbird

Reply to
tbird

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

sounds like a good idea. Might be the only way in fact. thanks.

Reply to
tbird