engine light code 43

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport, and my check engine light came on with 2 different codes. The codes were 43, and 42. I disconnected the battery to clear it, and the light came on again the next day with error code 43 again. My Jeep still runs great, but I have noticed my gas guage will be fine on minute, then suddenly it will go to empty. If I turn my engine off for a couple of minutes then start it back up again the guage will be fine again. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any input....

Thanks in advance, Jon

Reply to
jongig

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should check my coil. Anyone ever had the same problem with the gas guage?

Reply to
jongig

try going to autozone to pull the codes. I had code 43 also, replaced the coil, but turned out to just need new plugs/wires. I'll bet you will get cylinder missfire codes when connected to a code reader. cal

Reply to
Cal

Reply to
philthy

Thanks for all your input, it did just end up being either plugs,distributor cap, or rotor. I changed them all last week, and cleared the code with a scanner (misfire in cylinder 1). Still no engine light after about 200 miles. Funny thing is I changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last spring?

Reply to
jongig

I've gotten bad parts before. You're the tester, not the manufacturer.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Today the engine light came on again after driving about 300 miles since replacing cap, rotor, and plugs. The funny thing is the Jeep runs fine, with no noticable hesitation even when the light comes on? I switched the plug wires around to see if the code 0301 would change to

0302, but when the engine light came back on it still was p0301 and p0300. any ideas where I should look next? Thanks in advance Jon
Reply to
jongig

Reply to
philthy