Engine Overheating

I noticed today that my engine was running at a considerably hotter temperature than it normally does... I had left it running with my daughter in it while I was checking the sign on a store to see what their hours were... When I got back in, the A/C was blowing warm air with seemed somewhat strange since it had been working a couple of minutes ago... I looked at the temperature gauge and it was right at the edge of the high red zone... I remembered someone mentioning in a recent post something about engine temperature as it relates to the speed you are travelling, so I decided to try driving it to see if it would cool off any... Once I started driving it did cool off, so I figured that there must be something wrong with the fan... I paid close attention to the temperature gauge and it went back down to normal in a couple of minutes... I completed the errands that I needed to run and once home, I looked at it a little closer... It turns out that the electric fan wasn't running... A couple of jiggles of the relay and it started back up... Apparently some oxidation in the connection... Once the electric fan was back running, the engine went back down to a normal temperature fairly quickly... So, I have to assume that the electric fan controls the air flowing through the radiator... What does the mechanical fan do?

1995 XJ, 4.0, 109K miles
Reply to
Grumman-581

It seemed pretty obvious that it was because the relay wasn't getting good contact and the electric fan wasn't turning on... Are you saying that even with the electric fan off and the vehicle not moving, the temperature should still stay in the normal range? My temperature went right up to the edge of the red zone... Not enough to cause me to turn the heater on to help remove heat from the engine, but enough that I watched the gauge a little closer...

Reply to
Grumman-581

This makes me wonder if I should be concerned whether the mechanical fan clutch is working acceptably... When I look at it, it seems to be spinning well enough... Assuming that it is working acceptably and the electric fan is not, how high will the temperature rise? Is is reasonable to assume that it will rise to the start of the red zone on a hot summer day?

Reply to
Grumman-581