Error Code 0132, Oxygen Sensor Shorted to Voltage

My 1997 4.0 Cherokee Ltd. sometimes has a very irregular idle speed and a similar drive problem. This symptoms are occurring with days or weeks in between, but sometimes appear a few times a day. After a few minutes, the problems go away, and the car has no problems at all. The engine starts easy. No other problems. A computer check at the dealership has produced the following error message:

Code 0132, Oxygen Sensor Shorted to Voltage

Do I have to replace the sensor, or is the problem somewhere along the electric transmission between the sensor and the motor management unit? I am living in Asia, and parts have to be specially ordered and are very expensive. I hate to have the sensor replaced, just to find, that the problem is somewhere else.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Goldpalm

My 94YJ did the same thing. High O2 sensor voltage (Code21 OBDI). This happened after a drive in through a deep creek. It shorted out the O2 sensor. If parts are that expensive there, I would start checking voltages and looking for a short in the O2 sensor wiring.

I'm not sure if the 97 Cherokee models have an upstream and a down stream O2 sensors. If they do, make sure you check both.

chris

Reply to
<jduchock