error code 42...

My '97 grand cherokee has error code 42 using the key method. There are no codes using my scan tool. Haines says this is something like '5v not detected from ASD relay" whatever that means. I have replaced the asd relay, but the code returned again. Any ideas?? I have had some ignition problems occasionally. Turn the key, the dashboard lights normally, but the starter will not turn. Release the key and try again, and the starter turns/engages normally and the engine starts. Could the asd relay error have something to do with a faulty ignition switch? Are these separate problems? thanks cal

Reply to
Cal

clarify the starter problem.... it's not a bendix problem. The starter does not run at all on first try occasionally. Usually releasing the key and trying the starter again works.

cal

Reply to
Cal