Everyone's fav spark plugs/wires/etc.?

What does everyone like to use the most in their Jeep? I hear stories from people saying that the OEM plugs are the best, others swear by whatever the populat platinum plugs are. Others love Splitfires, and yet more people claim they are damaging to use because of burning holes in cylinders.

A list I was on for Chevy Caprice 9C1 (police) cars everyone unanimously agreed that the stock AC Delco was the best plug to stay with, for price, power, and longevity. Everything else was sweared at and disparaged.

How about replacement cap, rotor, wires, and coil? I'd want wires that were good for keeping noise out of my 2-way radios and was also considering a coil upgrade with an Accel coil or maybe an MSD setup.

Shawn '97 TJ 4.0

Reply to
Endo

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Personally, I have had nothing but bad luck with Champion plugs. Everything that I own gets Autolite plugs, especially anything that has had engine modifications to it. I know a lot of people use Champion plugs, but I won't even put one in my lawn mower. As far as wires, either stock replacement,NAPA premium or MSD. The NAPA wires have a lifetime warranty, even if they burn through on a header tube. Stay away from the Accel "crimp your own" kits. They are junk.

Chris

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

I stick with Autolite, they run as well as any other plug I've tried.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually the OEM plug specified by Jeep for 2003 to Present is now a NGK ZFR5N.

IMHO, NGKs are a far superior plug to most any other without trying to be some gimmicky junk like Splitfires or Bosch Platinum +1,2,3,4,etc.... I will probably get flamed for this but,..... We may make fun of the Ricers in their Hondas and Toyotas, but the Japanese can build one hell of a motor. I would be hard pressed to see a better engineered motor than a Honda V-TEC and they all use NGKs as OEM plugs. My wife's 2002 Honda even came from the factory with the new NGK Iridium plugs as OEM. I am stating this and I have owned a FJ-40 Landcruiser, 3 TJs, and a '79 CJ-5.

My $.02

GK

Reply to
GK

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I knew that was coming Bill and I am on your side. However, you must admit that it is pretty ironic that the "iconic" American Jeep is now owned by Krauts and running on Japanese spark plugs. Fat Man and Little Boy took care of the militant part and now they are just better engineers than we are because we only allowed them to become that post-war. The Big Three:

German Engineering, Japanese Manufacturing, and American Marketing

Regards,

GK

PS - I also own a "real" Jeep. A rust bucket, AMC CJ-5.

Reply to
GK

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Yep. 3924's

Reply to
DougW

Of course, they were made with American materials, and they worked well. Didn't i see a VW buggy in you list of vehicles? I don't think that makes you a nazi.

I have had the same Accel 'crimp your own" solid core set in my jeepster since 89 or so, it consistantly passes a scope test. I have run across 3 instances of defective new Champions in the last 2 years ( "I just tuned it and it runs bad"), I stay with NGK, Nippondenso, Bosch, and Autolite, in that order if the first isn't available. Interestingly, AC stands for Albert Champion, same guy started a new company after he sold the first one. That was the only connection.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I can go along with that, the Japs have done pretty well with their powertrain engineering. NGK, whatever they use, it works.

That being said, I have had more people than I can count bring their American vehicle to me, and say something along these lines: "It runs rough at idle, misfires on acceleration. I don't know why, I just tuned it up." What's the first thing I find? NGK or Bosch Platinum or Splitfire or whatever brand-of-the-week. Replace them with OE, and all is well.

I gotta think that the auto manufacturers invest an inordinate amount of time and money into development of their ignition systems. The plugs that they use last for a helluva long time and rarely give trouble. Whatever the manufacturer uses, that is what I use. Jeep/Chrysler takes a Champion, GM gets AC, Ford gets Autolite...... right down the line. You would think that a spark is a spark is a spark..... I can't explain it, but you can't argue with results. The OEM plug cannot be beat.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

What I stated in my earlier post though is that the NGK ZFR5N is now the OEM plug for Jeep. At least the 2003 and up Wranglers. Check the NGK product finder link for yourself and do a search on a 2003 Wrangler with 4.0 I6. (It even denotes that it is OEM.)

Generally stating that a Champion plug is the only OEM plug for a Jeep is no longer the truth. Find a 2003 or 2004 Wrangler and look under the hood at the manufacturers sticker that states the sparkplug type. It ain't America's favorite lawn mower plug anymore. ;)

GK

+1,2,3,4,etc....
Reply to
GK