Exhaust fumes

'73 CJ5 258. I get a lot of fumes when I'm driving down the road with the doors off and back window up. I even get a little when the top is off. My exhaust pipe stops right next to the drivers side rear shackle between the frame rails. I was wondering if a different exit location would help. I thought about taking it out the drivers side behind the tire in the fenderwell. I need to keep it "up" so I won't tear it off on the trail. I can't go in front of the tire do to the muffler length/location. BTW...this is not a tuning issue. The engine runs great, gets expected MPG and doesn't load up lugging along in 4WD low. Any suggestions?

Reply to
cj573cj5

the end of the exhaust (the tip) *must* be outside the perimeter of the vehicle. this is the only way to rid yourself of most of the fumes.

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

The exhaust is suppposed to come out on the side, behind the rear tire. Mine comes out the back like you describe, and I got fumes too. I don't get fumes when the back is closed, or when the top is off. Since I hosed my soft top a few years ago, and the hardtop door latches broke soon afterward, I haven't used any top or doors for years.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It should tilt out to the side and be just beyond the body at the back. This radically cuts down on fumes. Out the back or near the wheel well just vortexes the gasses inside if the back is open or if there are any holes in the floor.

Mike

cj573cj5 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain