exhaust manifold gasket?

Getting ready to install a new exhaust manifold (stock) on my sons '89YJ

4.2L....... I have heard that they should be installed without a gasket & I also saw a previous post stating that he used a solid copper gasket. Which is more better?????
Reply to
Carlo

Roy J

BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE MANIFOLD, you should have the flange trued. The flange warps sometimes, and the warpage is greater than the thickness of the gasket.

What you will want to do is go to a machine shop and put the flange surface on a flatbed sander of some type that will sand the entire flange at once. You will easily see the high spots when you first get started, and just keep sanding until the high spots and the low spots are all the same spot. Once you do this, you have an option of using the gasket or not.

Reply to
CRWLR