Exhaust pipe bolts on '89 YJ

I'm going to replace the exhaust pipe on my '89 YJ 4.2. I was told the only way to get the nuts off is with a torch. i.e.. Heat them to cherry red and then try to get them off. Will the studs be useable after this or must I replace them also. Also, there is NO gasket between the exhaust pipe and manifold, correct? Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

Joe C did pass the time by typing:

Depends on the connection. I'm talking from my ZJ here but your exhaust header should be similar.

Between the exhaust pipe and manifold there is usually a lead o-ring V shaped thingy. That should be replaced. The bolts are usually so buggered up from heat that a angle grinder is the easier way to get them off. I got mine off the 93ZJ with a long extension and a breaker bar. The rest of the exhaust came out with an angle grinder and strap-pipecutter.

Start first by blasting all the bolts with PB-Blaster then wait a day before cranking on them.

Reply to
DougW

You can soak the nuts in a good penetrating oil. I recommend a couple days of many soaks.

I then try a 6 sided deep socket on them first. Do not use a 12 point socket or you will round them off. This 'might' work depending on their shape. If not, then it is torch time. I recommend you go after the stud/manifold junction just to save farting around. If you have to torch the nuts, 99% the studs will not be reusable, but there always is that 1%...

New stud and brass nut kits are sold at most auto parts stores and are not expensive.

The 'newer' 4.2 manifold does not use a gasket. Some of the 1st generation did.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

With a torch, heat the nuts 'til they're cherry red, and turn 'em off.

To remove studs, heat the area around the stud, but not directly the stud, and turn it out.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader