exhaust recommendations?

I put a Gibson 300 system on my Suburban and my fuel mileage went from 12 to

15.5. It doesn't sound too bad either. I wouldn't even notice it was a performance system by the sound. Well, maybe a little bit...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

here's what i'm seeing out there... can any of you make a reccommendation and/or share your experiences with these exhaust systems? i don't want my jeep to sound like a tricked out import sports coupe or a motorcycle. i'm really not interested in the sound at all, except that i DO NOT want it be loud. i'm more looking for performance increase to go with the K&N intake kit.

banks dynaflow borla gibson dynomax

thanks!

will

Reply to
<LAFFERTY

I am running a Borla header with a 2" low restriction cat and muffler. I get a deep, throaty sound, not too loud. It is really a very pleasant sound on the street, and not obtrusive at all on the trail. The sound at idle and during decelleration is a gentle gurgle, but I can stand on the gas and get a very authoritave growl from it. I seldom do this, as it is not really my style nor is it the proper way to drive a rockcrawler. I use my CJ around town, and the exhaust note is not any louder than the tires.

Reply to
J Strickland

I have a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on my CJ7 and it sounds sweet.

It isn't loud but has a nice throaty roar to it when I am climbing sand pit walls or something.

I also noticed a performance increase (I think) when I went with a new

2" straight pipe and the 2" muffler. (CJ's in Canada didn't come with cats, utility vehicle, eh.)

It sure 'sounds' and feels like I got a boost.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@aust>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Borla for the long haul. Banks is a very reputable brand, but I have no experience with them. Dynomax is good too, but it's not stainless.

Reply to
Big Daddy

That's a simple question.

Your going to put the exhaust system on. It's going to sound "cool" and your mileage will go down the crapper till you learn that the sound of "cool" and the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet are roughly the same. :)

Just stay out of the pedal and you may notice a small increase.

Before you think it's easy to note changes take a read at my mileage chart.

Feel free to play with it. Not that difficult to change.

And yes.. I need to rotate the tires.. Too damn hot outside right now.

Reply to
DougW

LOL!

Yup!

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It works. Sometimes I wonder just how silly it is but by watching the MPG I can see when the sparkplugs or something needs looked at. Long before it becomes noticable.

Nope. Can't say it did. The stock muffler is quite huge and probably doesn't have much more restriction than the Gibson. But it did have a big ass hole (caught a rock) and had to be replaced anyway.

That's fine. What I use is called a supercharger. :)

Turbochargers use exhaust to spin the compressor Superchargers use the engine belt to spin the compressor

Turbos are better for high RPM horsepower. Supers are better for off-the-line and low end grunt.

Apple Orange

No relation at all. The K&N removes some of the restrictions in the stock intake (biggest offender is that corrugated section) and gives you a fliter that has less resistance to flow. The charger compresses air and blows it down the intake rail.

Reply to
DougW