external gas cans - safe?

Ok, this may be a dumb question, and I'm sure I will get flamed for asking it, but still, it's a question that keeps coming to my mind and I'm not 100% certain on.

I live in a very hot, sunny place. (Phoenix, AZ.) Lord only knows what the temperature inside a sealed, parked vehicle can get to in the summer. I bet it's near 200, if not over.

I have 2 full 5 gallon gas cans mounted on my rear bumper. I frequently park the jeep in a concrete, unshaded lot all day. I have been wondering if perhaps there is any risk of some spontaneous combustion here, with those gas cans baking in the sun all afternoon?

I have never heard of such an accident, but still... maybe I should empty out the cans until I need them for trail use?

Am I just being silly here, or is there a real risk?

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

I think you are safe as long as you aren't leaking...

Petrol gives off vapours from -43c upwards, which can be ignited up to 65 feet away ! British Oxygen claim that petrol "will self ignite will self ignite at temperatures between 228 - 501ºC, depending on the grade".

But, if I were you, I wouldn't take the risk of a badly sealed gas can, and would only carry what I needed when I needed it.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

I agree. Two loaded "jerry" cans on the back of a truck is a bomb if you get in an accident. The only thing worse is two empty "jerry" cans (that had gas in them). These cans are meant to be carried on the trail, not the street.

Reply to
TJim

Consider: gasoline vapor explodes, liquid gasoline just burns so an empty can == bomb. If it's a concern, why not just remove the cans until you actually have a need for them? I grew up in West Texas and never heard of spontaneous combustion from the sun but I've seen several fires when a minor rear end collision ruptured a Jerry can and the sparks/friction ignited the gas. I carry extra gas only when I have a probability of needing it.

Besides, in that heat you probably need water more often than extra gasoline.

Reply to
Will Honea