Failed Califoria smog test.

My son's 89 6 cyl.Cherokee just barely failed the Ca. smog test. It passed the 15 MPH but failed at 25 MPH on the "NO(PPM)" part of the test (max allowed is 875 PPM.his read 1066 PPM). Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? The mechanic told him it is probably either the O2 sensor or the catalytic converter. TIA

Reply to
Mike M

Aside from the good advice you already received, I can only add to make darned sure it has the proper 195 degree thermostat installed. If the engine isn't warmed up fully to the 195 degree reading, it won't pass the smog test. Make sure the engine is as hot as possible before running the test again.

Jerry

Mike M wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Mike M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Same thing happened to me. My '88 YJ failed miserably, though. I tried everything I could think of to get it to pass. Finally I took it in to the shop. The mechinic had me start it. First thing he came up with is the cat converter was bad (granted it did sound like a baby rattle). After replacing the converter and O2 sensor, I passed with reading down around where they were when my Jeep was new.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The O2 sensor is under recall. If the vehicle hasn't had the recall done, it is still a free fix. It then will likely pass...

Mike

Mike M wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I don't know about CA but here in MD if you spend a certian amount of money on repairs and the problem isn't fixed you are exluded from additional testing until the next test cycle. (2yrs in MD i think)

-Brian

91 YJ 4.0

Reply to
Brian

My car ('94 BMW) failed the low speed NO test. I was told the CAT was wearing out. I was allowed to drive around the block to heat it up, and it was immediately retested. It passed the retest, and the numbers were significantly different.

If they told you your CAT is faililng, I would be inclined to believe them.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really??? An '89 is under recall?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You are correct for MD however if it does not pass on the next cycle you have to spend more money to get it fixed and so on and so on. HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Yup, our 88 failed it's first emissions and when they punched it up, the O2 was under recall. After the recall it passed with low numbers. I have told this to others and others have posted it. Apparently the 88 to 91's with the renix computer have bad O2 sensors.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

After reading your post I Googled and found this.

So, did you take it to a dealer and get it replaced?

Reply to
Mike M

Excellent, thanks!

Yes I went to a $tealer for it. They 'forgot' to do the CCV recall though...

Mike

Mike M wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

MR> Yes I went to a $tealer for it. They 'forgot' to do the CCV recall though...

I'm sure it was just an oversight.

Reply to
Mike M

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Something like the 3 tests they gave and the parts they sold me and put on to get me up to the amount of for a 'money spent' exemption only to have the emissions computer reject the exemption because of the emissions recall.

Interesting enough I still failed miserably with all their 'expert' diagnosis and parts and spent money and right after they did the free recall for the O2, it passed with flying colors....

Mike

Mike Romain

It is the O2 sensor. Your cat may now be ruined as well from getting too rich a mixture put through it. Dont just replace the cat, fix the problem then fix the cat. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

One thing no one mentions. Most cars should pass the sniff test without the cat operating if everything else is functioning correctly. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks to everyone for the advice..

Reply to
Mike M

Replaced the EGR valve, changed the oil, Can of fuel injection cleaner and half a tank of premium gas.

25 MPH on the NO(PPM)got a 650 reading this time.
Reply to
Mike M

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The "half a tank of premium gas" caught my eye. Disregarding for the moment the differences in additive formulations between manufacturers, (the gasoline "slug" in the pipeline is the same if it goes to the Exxon/Mobil plant or the Shell plant or the BP plant, the only difference is in what they add to it before it goes out in the tanker truck) would/should higher octane gas make any positive difference in emissions?

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton