Fan (Clutch?) Failure

I replaced a failed viscous fan and the fan turned over easily and smoothly. However, because the fan clutch plate-to-water pump flange was too thick on the replacement part, the studs were too short to safely hold the nuts (previously reported). I removed the studs and replaced them with studs 1/2" longer. Now the fan does not spin freely, and upon engine start, does not turn at all, and there is a loud squeal and "hot" smell.

I've seen or heard of this before, but cannot remember the cause.

All help will be appreciated.

Reply to
randallbrink

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You're right. I went to longer studs to adequately hold the thicker fan plate, and they were too long. Now I have to dismantle the fan, remove the studs and see of I can get ones about 1/4" shorter.

Thanks

Reply to
randallbrink

Most women wouldn't agree with that statement.

Or that one.

Nasal sex?

No thanks....

Reply to