First look at the Jeep Compass

The following is from CNN.com. Photos and the full story are online at

Jeep Compass

Search all you want, you'll find no "Trail Rated" badge on the Compass, as Jeep's new addition to the line-up isn't designed to go off-road.

This is a car designed for buyers who like the idea and style of Jeep vehicles but don't want the reality of owning a genuine off-roader. (The rough ride and all that, you know.) The question is will the fakery of the off-road look bother potential buyers?

"The market that they're going after has not been raised on Wranglers and the toughness of Jeep," said Bell.

"I think that they'll be very happy with the pseudo-toughness and will not be offended by the lack of off-road ability," he added.

At least Compass buyers, as opposed to asphalt-bound Jeep Liberty buyers, will be honest about faking it.

Reply to
lambeth65

Hmm, looks like being the ugliest car since the AMC Pacer so they must be going going back to their pseudo-roots.

Dave

Dave Milne

I was thinking along the lines of what would happen if a Pacer and an Aztec mated....Oh the horror....

JS

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

It's right up there with the Aztec

Oh well, not in my demographic anyway. If the minivan set likes it then more power to em.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Did anyone else notice the STRIKING resemblance between this and the Ford Edge?

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill

Kiss my ass will ya!

KJK

: > Did anyone else notice the STRIKING resemblance between this and the Ford : > Edge? : >

: > KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I love finally having a Libby defender with us . I don't think this looks like an Aztek, just like any other small car but with a Jeep-like face on it. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Let your compass guide you"

mabar

eew, never seen an Aztec. Looks like it comes rear-ended out of the box.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

LOL! It's definitely right up there with the AMC Pacer and others of it's kind.

Yup! They marketed it at first as a versatile vehicle, and pictured it with a tent attached to the back of it. I would be interested to know if the people that were prone to buying a vehicle like this would also use the warm air from the exhaust to heat their tent.

: > Oh well, not in my demographic anyway. : > If the minivan set likes it then more power to em. : >

: > KJK : >

: >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Thanks... There used to be another defender of Liberty? What happened ? Where is the body buried?

I think it looks like a station wagon. Looks like they are coming back. Now, if they would just catch on. KJK

: > Kiss my ass will ya! : >

: > KJK : >

: > : > Did anyone else notice the STRIKING resemblance between this and the : > Ford : > : > Edge? : > : >

: > : > KJK : >

: >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I've got an '02 Liberty and it is more than just another "cute ute". Great ground clearance and with an automatic the torque band doesn't seem to be a problem. Now having said all that, if push came to shove, and I was forced to have only vehicle I'd keep my '04 Wrangler X. The liberty is for road trips, camping...etc. The Wrangler is for "Holy s**t where am I?" and "Hand me the map".

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Now, you just need to add a CJ to the mix, and you'll have a vehicle actually useful for off-roading.

Reply to
lambeth65

"Frank_v7.0" wrote : >

: I've got an '02 Liberty and it is more than just another "cute ute". : Great ground clearance and with an automatic the torque band doesn't : seem to be a problem. Now having said all that, if push came to shove, : and I was forced to have only vehicle I'd keep my '04 Wrangler X. The : liberty is for road trips, camping...etc. The Wrangler is for "Holy s**t : where am I?" and "Hand me the map". : : -- : FRH

I am trying to find the funds to add an "Oh shit where am I?" rig to the fleet. I imagine it will happen in the next year or so. In the meantime I have every intention of enjoying my Libby as much as possible.

One thing I REALLY wish I had remembered when I went Jeep shopping was the damn topless option. Had I remembered it. I might have brought home a Rubicon instead. I really miss my vert. a LOT. Oh well, gives me an excuse to buy another one. They say that oneis not enough.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Isn't Stupendous Man signing himself as the defender of Liberty these days? Oh - not that Liberty. :) Tomes

Reply to
Tomes