Fixed Fuel Gauge Problem...thanks for you help!

Well I did it! Went to the junkyard to do some research and found a number of fuel senders hanging out of old XJ'a and a couple still in the tank. removed three of them, 2 still had new looking pumps. I bought a sender and a complete set up for $49 and went home to test these that were both pulled from a 90 and an 88 XJ.

Success! The Fuel Gauge worked.

Now I needed to unisnstall mine and see what was up. Luckily the practice at the yard helped a ton!

As I am pulling it out I noticed that the plastic housing of the sender unit is disconnected from the fuel sender metal body. As I was extracting the whole unit from the tank the filter boot fell in the tank! Damn! Hands too big to get in fuel pump hole. Lower the tank to get it out.

Few hours later...after testing it a few times.....reinstalled and voila....gauge works!

Thanks for all of your advice,

LTK

Reply to
ltkaknm