For Every One with a R-12 AC unit in their vehicle

I came across this at DIY it may be of some use to the shad trees.

HarryS

When I came across this glaring error on that DIY webpage, "Note: A/C systems never use motor oil as lubricant.", I immediately lost faith in the total accuracy of the information in general. Just for one example, my York F210 a/c compressor has an oil sump that holds 30W motor oil as a lubricant. Rotory style compressors don't use motor oil but other types like the Yorks do.

Jerry

Jerry Bransford

twaldron

As written, the statement is correct - the system does not use motor oil - the York uses it for lubrication, but not on the freon side. Any system that uses oil, has a special lubricant compatible with the freon Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

"Any system that uses oil, has a special lubricant compatible with the freon"... what??? Not hardly. Once again... the York uses standard motor oil like 30W, not some special lubricant that is "compatible with the freon".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

All this time and you're not commercial, instrument, multi yet? Taken the written even??

Reply to
Ted Azito

All this time and you're not commercial, instrument, multi yet? Taken the written even??

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Heh, nope, still just a lowly ASEL non-IFR guy. I took the IFR groundschool at the local community college and passed the written then took dual time plus the max simulator time but ran out of $$$ before finishing the ticket. Oh well, at least it's not IFR much around here. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That was his dad's license, not his.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
twaldron

IFR (and multi, when you get right down to it) are a waste for a casual pilot unless you're trying to make money anyway. Spend all those hours (and money & gas!) you would have spent on IFR doing low-level VFR maps and it will make you better. Fun, too.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I'm of the opinion getting my IFR rating will simply make me or anyone a much better pilot, even if I only filed enough IFR to stay current. Which is really the only reason I took the "Recovery from unusual attitudes" course and then got into a little aerobatics after that... both of which made a HUGE impact on my skills and confidence. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

I thought we discussed this. You want to show off your stuff, hey, go ahead. I'm grown up enough to keep it in my pants. What I'm packing is between me and the FAA inspector (although I've never been rampchecked yet...it's coming, but, I'm legal.)

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III