Fram oil Filter Recall

My wife is a manager at a Wal-Mart and they have pulled several fram filters due to a new recall. She does not know which filter numbers are the issue. I checked the WEB and did not fine anything at the typical sights may be too new.

If I find out what filters are recalled I will pass it on.

Reply to
coasty

Thanks.

I still think the best practice is to avoid Fram oil filters. :)

Reply to
DougW

I let WalMart put the Mobil One in, but I bring my own filter (NAPA Gold). They give a $2.09 credit for supplying my own filter :-) They use Fram filters :-0

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Just tried that the other day .. wanted to supply my own filter and buy their synthetic oil. I was told that they no longer do "customer provided" oil changes. I said "oh well " and left. I will not use Fram oil filters!

Reply to
AJ

I guess I've been living under a rock. I thought Fram filters were OK. That's what I've been using for 10 years now. Anyone care to elaborate on why Fram filters are bad?

Reply to
Jo Baggs

I've been using Fram oil filters for 33 years in an Austin Mini. In that car the engine and gearbox uses the same oil. With over 175000 original miles on the original non rebuilt factory engine, fram oil filters have never been a problem! I'm sure someone from the UK is going to say that it is not possible to have that kind of mileage on an untouched Mini power train. But I guess that's the same as saying that English have good teeth. So, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with Fram oil filters. I've read tests on the www about how bad they are, but at the end of the day there is nothing to substantiate "their claims" Just more hot air. The same as certain people saying that Penzoil is crap.

Reply to
Socks

Fram has had some serious quality issues. High among them is bypassing the filter because of weak bypass spring. This can lead to premature bearing failure. google for "fram filter failure" Many vehicles, and I do mean many, have all sorts of valve clatter and it's cured by replaceing the fram filter with a wix or other brand.

Reply to
DougW

I've been using Fram oil filters for 33 years in an Austin Mini. In that car the engine and gearbox uses the same oil. With over 175000 original kilometers on the original non rebuilt engine. Fram filters have never been a problem! I've read tests on the www about how bad they are, and how good others are but at the end of the day there is nothing to substantiate "their claims" Just more hot air.

Reply to
Socks

I've been using Fram oil filters for 33 years in an assortment of vehicles. One, an Austin Mini which uses standard motor oil to lubricate both the engine and gearbox. A 1975 Ford E350 Econo line van with a 460 c.i.d. engine pulling a 30 foot boat and towing numerous vehicles on a flat deck trailer. That engine has around 265,000 miles on it and has always used Fram filters. So have all my other cars. Two Dodge Colts one had 295000 km and the other 329,000 km on it. Non of them ever been rebuilt and those too have only ever had Fram.

I've read tests on the www about how bad they are, and how good others are but at the end of the day there is nothing to substantiate "their claims" Just more hot air and photo chop photographs.

Reply to
Socks

And in the ten years you have been using them have you had any "Catastrophic" failures? I'm sure that if you had you would of let this news group know.

Reply to
Socks

AJ

Drain back valve failures leading to dry starts, Bypass spring issues leading to non filtration. Small filter area, glued cardboard components.....

For my Rubicon I use Ford FL-1A if at Walmart or the equivalent WIX if at the parts store. Also for these Jeep I6 it is critical to use an oil with at least the ACEA A1 rating, and preferably the A3. Most modern oils do not have the wear package needed to preserve the flat tappet cams of Jeep I6s. They removed the zinc because it was shortening the life of the cats. I have settled on Mobile 1 HIGH MILEAGE, even though the Rubi only has 40k. jeff

Reply to
jeff

Well, for the record, one of my valves is a little noisy (SBC/Manual 4 spd tranny). It's very noticeable when the engine idles down (Like coming to a stop sign). But I have no idea if the Fram filter is the cause.

I would think that with all the bad publicity, Fram would have corrected their defects by now. After all, they sell thousands (if not millions) of their filters. Does anyone know if Fram is still considered a bad filter?

Reply to
Jo Baggs

Most often it is. That's my experience.

Reply to
DougW

I have...

After a hard 4600 mile run I did an oil change and used a fram filter. The next morning the engine rattled so bad I thought I had cooked it on the run and was prepping for a rebuild when I remembered about the fram filter and a post came up in the tech NG about them failing on the drainback valve.

Changed out the filter and no more noise.

Your Mini doesn't have the same oil filter layout, the drainback valve is in the engine isn't it?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain