Frame repair pics

Well I finally cut and repaired the rusted area of my frame. Take a look at the pics and let me know if I screwed anything up!

I decided not to put the crossmember "over" the ends of the frame, and instead built it between. I hoped leaving it open would help it drain in the future. Mistake?... thoughts....?

Now I will make my rear body mounts out of some thick angle iron or something along those lines. I'm doing a YJ tub, so the holes had to be moved anyway.

This was my first "real" project with my welder. Thanksfully I had a friend helping out.

A few before and after pics...

Kevin S

Wanna come do mine?

Mike

Mike Romain

If mine had looked that good before I started I wouldn't of done mine.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
twaldron

Nice job! No need to explain about your 'first project', looks clean and neat.

A slight nit pick: I would not have welded vertically in the middle of the frame (see far side of pixture 3), it tends to concentrate fatigue cracks. Shouldn't be a problem in this case since the main flexing is further forward. but next time either don't weld that or change it to a arrrow shape pointing toward the main frame.

While you have it out in the open, why not add some reinforcement plates and appropriate holes for the tow hooks? Just a thought.

cheers.

Kev> Well I finally cut and repaired the rusted area of my frame. Take a look at

Reply to
RoyJ