Frame swap?

I just picked up a 74 Cherokee (360/T-400/Quadra-trak) mainly for the D44 axles and will be driving it home this weekend. Since my frame is cracked, i have another Jeepster frame and will do all the swapping at once, and am considering just putting my engine/trans/ T-case in the chero and swapping bodies. Other than the wheelbase being 9 inches longer than my Jeepster, does anyone know of any pros or cons of the Cherokee frame as compared to a 68 C-101?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

It's not entirely clear, how many vehicles and which type you hope to have running at the end of this exercise.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Only one. the axles are going under the Jeepster, which will retain5/T-400/D20. My frame will be either the Chero or the spare Jeepster frame i have. Both would be about the same amount of work, just different modifications.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

In that case, I would go with the frame, that needs the least amount of repair, or looks the toughest to you. A Quadratrac Jeepster would be interesting, especially if it had the low range option.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Can you give us a link to some photos and some more details of the cracked frame? I am thinking some frame repair maybe much easier than a body sway.

Reply to
Rusted

"> Can you give us a link to some photos and some more details of the cracked

Not much point. I have been nursing along a complete broke front arch and plated it larger 4 times, and have also welded up 2 shock mounts, 2 spring hangers, a rear arch, and some body mount brackets. It has metal fatigue. It had some minor cracks before I installed the 455 buick 15 years or so ago. I have an un-cracked, low mileage 67 Jeepster frame in the yard, and was planning on re-enforcing it before installation, but I guess I need to get both frames together and compare. Looks like Chero body parts on Ebay next wee. I may keep the AC unit, but I take my roof and doors off for summer.

Earle, isn't Quadratrack lame for rock crawling? it does have low range, but my Dana 20 is tough and I have a spare.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

"It had some minor cracks before I installed the 455 buick 15 years or so ago..."

OK, this cracks me up. I don't seriously recommend the Quadratrac for rock crawling, but it would be "interesting" to have one in a running vehicle. You may be able to sell it to a collector or restorer. If you have a spare, I would definitely go with the Dana 20. As far as frames go, I am thinking that the full size Cherokee frame is going to be more heavy duty than the Jeepster frame, but you will have to compare to make sure.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have found a lot of conflicting info, but this site seems to have a pretty good take on the BW 1339 Quadratrac,

may use it, and it gets the low ratio .5 lower than the D20. This rig is a one-owner with 67 K miles on it. As for the frame, it's not fully boxed like the Jeepster, but I can fix that, and probably find another Chero frame to cut matching pieces from.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

According to the web site the Quadratrac case does have a locking differential, so in principle it should be fine for off road use. Availability of parts could be worrisome though. But many people enjoy the thrill of the parts hunt.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think i will go for it. It solves the problem of an off-side diff to a center output, and i can always go back to the 20.

Reply to
Stupendous Man