freeze plug replacement advice?

Freeze plug in a 97 jeep grande cheerokee Ladrado inline 6 cyclinder.

The front freeze plug is leaking. The first place I took it to diagnosed the problem. And now it is such that you poor water in and you can definately see it run out that freeze plug. But they said to fix it they would have to pull the engine. The dealer becuase of dealer specific tools could do it without pulling the engine.

So off to the dealer I go...

The dealer comes back with they want $300 to replace the one front freeze plug and I most likely need them all replaced which would involve pulling the engine which would drive the bill to like a grand. The first place was quoting $550 but after making that quote was calling back not wanting to do the work because of the extra labor involved in pulling the engine which was not to be needed if the dealer did it. If the dealer does the front one only yes they do not have to pull the engine.

The guy at the dealer is concerned that the engine might have to come out to get to the bottom freeze plugs.

I have heard on here about the tranni coming out to get to the back one but that is about it. The dealer figures if one is out the rest are paper thin.

Opinions... Thanks, David

Reply to
quincy451

The rear most freeze/casting plugs require pulling the engine or dropping the transmission. But if your just having one leak, odds are it's the only one you need to deal with.

The side freeze plugs just take a hook style puller or a screwdriver/hammer to remove.

Autozone rents tools, and so do some other places. You should use the correct tool as driving the plugs sideways (or not deep enough) will cause leaks. And driving them too deep results in one pain of an extraction process.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, I disagree. If one is corroded enough to leak, the rest are probably on their way to leaking. Most can be done without pulling the engine, but it's much more difficult. I suppose you could just have the dealer replace the leaking one and hope the others hold for a while.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

True. I almost said that fixing just one depends on what it looks like. If the plug was never properly seated it could have walked. I've seen cases where folks pound the plug flush, but that's not enough, they need to be sunk in 1mm or so. I've also seen where the factory didn't get the plug in or there was a defect (scratch/pit) that somehow got past inspection.

Reply to
DougW

They also make expandable rubber freeze plugs.

Reply to
billy ray

I have a couple of those for emergencies, just don't trust them, too much to rust or deteriorate.

cases where folks pound the plug flush, but that's

Reply to
DougW

If you use pure coolant and water, then the rubber plug should last as long as, for example, a heater hose. Of course, if the OP had used pure coolant and water in the first place, then he wouldn't be having this problem.

Earle

seen cases where folks pound the plug flush, but that's

Reply to
Earle Horton

Put a rubber expansion plug in, depending on what the old plug looked like. Old plug thin, pay the piper, old plug thick, rubber plug it. If you know your vehicle and how wel it was maintained, you can most likely make the call.

Reply to
djdave