from TJ to ZJ?

My daily driver is a TJ which I ocasionally use for off road adventures - nothing really extreme, I carry a Black Rat recovery winch but I've never had to use it (and hope that I never have to use it). I have been thinking about trading for a ZJ in order to have a more quiet and comfortable drive on my daily drive but I would hate to give up off road capability. Would I be really giving up a lot of capabilities with this switch?

Reply to
mokordo

yes, but it sounds like you arent using the tj to its full potential anyway so i doubt it will affect you.

Nathan W. Collier

Nathan W. Collier

There is a price to pay for the additional wheelbase as far as off-roading is concerned but in my opinion the trade off is well worth while. In addition to improving your daily drive immensely you will increase your off-road vehicle's comfort, cargo capacity, and, if need arises, you can sleep comfortably in the back during torrential rains or weather extremes.

A stock ZJ with good tires is more capable than you might think. If new tires are in the near future you might consider a mild 'budget boost" A 2" coil spacer budget boost + 31" tires will give you quite a bit more ground clearance to the body (up to 3.5 inches if you have 215-75x 15 tires now)

Coil spacer lifts of 2 inches or less can be done without the need of replacing your stock shock absorbers.

Complete kits with polyurethane spacers (2 pair) generally retail from $100-$250

For additional information see:

Billy Ray

The ZJ is every bit as capable as a TJ..the only difference is the wheel base...it has the exact same suspension... as long as you don't mind missing your open top Jeep during the summer you will love the ZJ.

Jeff '95 ZJ & '03 TJ

Reply to
4X4PLAY

There are people where I live, who can fix the open top thing too. One tour company has a bunch of Suburbans with canvas roofs with snaps...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

youve never found the limitations of your tj.

Nathan W. Collier

Nathan W. Collier

"youve never found the limitations of your tj."

?????

I'm not sure what you mean...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY

if you believe that the zj is "just as capable" as a tj (your words) then you havent pushed your tj to its true limits. a zj is a _very_ capable utility vehicle indeed.....probably 95% as capable as a tj but so is a toyota tacoma and that extra 5-10% or so difference is what built the jeep legend. as i said, if the original poster doesnt use his tj to its full potential then he wont notice any difference, but stock for stock or mod for mod, the zj is not "just as capable" as a tj.

Nathan W. Collier

Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III