Front drive shaft -- '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My front drive shaft was causing severe vibration. I removed it and the vibration went away. I disassemble the double-cardan joint and found that the centering post in the joint was worn to an oval shape and the needle bearings that fit around it were completely gone.

Question #1: It looks like you have to replace the entire shaft to fix it, but is it possible that the centering post can be replaced? Maybe it screws out???

Question #2: Would drive shafts from a '97 or '98 ZJ fit on mine? I have automatic transmission with NV242 transfer case, Dana 30 front axle, etc. The shaft is approximately 32" (in relaxed position. it's about 31" compressed) from center of front u-joint to center of rear u-joint. Would a drive shaft from a '96 Cherokee fit? In short, what other shafts would fit. I can't afford right now to buy a new one and need to find a good used replacement.

Thanks for any help, Troy

Reply to
TEM

Forgot to say that it has 4.0L six engine.

Reply to
TEM

TEM did pass the time by typing:

I don't think the front from a XJ would fit your ZJ. Frame isn't the same. The only way to know for sure is to stop by the dealer and ask. They can look it up.. Or drop an email to the folks at buymopar.com

FWIW:

NAPA Prop Shafts Driveshaft - Front

12770 $ 223.76 Core $91.00

Drive Train=Four Wheel Drive From 1995 1/2, w/ Automatic Transmission, w/ Spicer/Dana 30 Axle, w/ Double Cardan "CV" at Transfer Case,

1310 Series, w/ 249 Transfer Case

.. Double check, but there shouldn't be any difference between the 242 and

249 front shafts.
Reply to
DougW