Front Driveshaft

Hi All,

I've had a "bump-stop" problem with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for some time. Awhile back, I greased the rear driveshaft slip yoke splines, which seemed to help, but the problem still comes and goes. I'm thinking of greasing the front driveshaft, but I have some questions...

The Haynes manual says that my front driveshaft should be one of three types: Type 1 and Type 2 have a Single-Cardan U-Joint at the axle, and a Double-Cardan U-Joint at the Transfer Case. Type 3 has a CV Joint at the front axle, and a Double-Cardan U-Joint at the transfer case. It would appear that I have none of these. There is clearly a Single- Cardan U-Joint at the front axle, and what looks to be a CV joint at the transfer case. See it here:

The transfer case is in the upper-right corner of the picture.

So, there's the joint, a little piece of shaft, and then a dust boot. Is that dust boot covering a slip yoke, or is that part of the CV joint? If I were to move the dust boot a bit and shoot some grease in there, should I use CV Joint grease or is regular synthetic grease okay?

Thanks! Tom

Reply to
aetmos

The dust boot is covering the splines, it's not part of the CV joint. No reason you shouldn't be able to take it off and add some grease.

Reply to
nrs

Thanks!

Tom