Front end Noises!!!

I recently purchased a used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited with QuadraDrive. The problem is whenever I make turns, such as a drive thru, I get this horrible grinding moaning noise coming from the front end. I don't know what to do or what it is. Anyone have this problem.

- Thanks for the input.

Reply to
ganggreen82

ganggreen82 did pass the time by typing:

I'd be checking the CV Joints on the front axle for split boots. (although that's usually a popping noise on turns)

It could also be your front diff is toast. But that tends to make noise no matter what.

Check the CV joints first.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Closely inspect the tire wear on your front tires. If the left/right tire wear is uneven, this could be the culprit.

I have the same make, model, and year Jeep, with Quadradrive and v8. It groaned terribly on sharp, slow turns. Mechanic said I had a bad tie rod, causing uneven wear. He recommended replacing the tie rod, and getting new tires. I feel that the tires have about 10K miles more of service.

The front tires were worn more (and uneven wear) than the rear, so I rotated them. The problem disappeared.

--James--

Reply to
James

If I am not mistaken, the QuadraDrive is the Full Time 4WD system. It uses a viscous coupler to handle the different speeds of the front and rear axles. By your description, I would guess that the VC is on its way out.

The left and right tires turn different speeds in a corner because the arc that they follow is a different distance and the tires have to end up at the same place at the end of the turn. Since the distance is different but the time is the same, then the speed has to be different as well. The differential inside the axles allows this to happen in complete silence.

The front and rear axles also travel different distances in the same amount of time, and therefore need a differential to accomodate the different speeds of the front and rear drive shafts. There is a viscous coupling that handles this job, and I am pretty sure that it can send noises down the front drive shaft so that they sound like they are coming from the front axle. Of course, there is the possibility that the noise IS coming from the front axle, but I think your VC should be looked at first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland