Fuel filter and PCV location?

I'm looking to change the fuel filter on my '05 TJL, but I haven't found the darned thing. I don't see a PCV either - both on top of the valve cover look like elbows, not valves.

Someone mentioned that recent TJ's don't use replaceable fuel filters, and I don't consider the bug screen in the tank to be a suitable substitute. This doesn't make much sense to me. Even using clean fuel, I've had to replace filters yearly in the past because they get so choked up that you can't even blow air through them. What's the deal on this? Are the injectors so large that they just don't care about the really tiny stuff in the fuel anymore?

I guess the obvious thing to do next would be to find a factory service manual.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

No worries, you don't have either of them as far as I know....

Mike

Mike Romain

Wouldn't he have the combination fuel filter-regulator?

On my ''02 WJ it is attached to the floor panel in front and above the fuel tank. They are designed for long service life and must be replaced when that time comes...

Reply to
billy ray

The fuel filter is located on the bottom of the fuel pump module. The fuel pump module is located on top of the fuel tank. The procedure for removing the fuel filter is this: Remove fuel tank from vehicle, remove fuel pump module from tank, remove fuel filter from fuel pump module. (On fuel injected systems, the best place to put the filter is in the suction side.) The filter in your tank is somewhat better than the "bug screens" you may be used to. Anything that gets through it is assumed to be small enough not to plug the injectors.

The 4.0 liter six cylinder engine is equipped with a closed crankcase ventilation system (CCV) and a fixed orifice valve. The fixed orifice valve is located in the smaller one of those elbow fittings you are talking about. If you want to service it, it wouldn't hurt to take it out and blow some carburetor cleaner through it.

An FSM would be a good investment, but unless you drive a lot or plan to modify the vehicle, it will sit on the shelf for the first few years.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

A-ha! Leave it to Jeep and DC to make things even simpler. No replaceable filter cartridge and no PCV. I thought that no spark plug wires was a great idea - this is even better.

Earle: Does your manual indicate the service interval on that in-tank filter? Sounds like a PIA to replace to me. Hopefully, it never has to be serviced.

No need to clean the CCV components since I'm using M1 lubricants. Acids and carbon that normally build up in the top-end never cause a problem.

My owner's manual never mentions replacement of either, so I'm guessing the fuel filter is a lifetime sort of deal, which is fine with me.

This thing is a blast to drive. The other day while waiting in a drive-through line for coffee, a car ahead of me stalled. No one behind would back up fearing they would lose their place in line. (?) No problem! I turned the wheel and eased it over the 8" berm, parked and went inside. Everyone in their Honda's watched in amazement. No one in their $60,000 luxury SUV wanted to risk scratching their baby, so they just sat there. Bah! Git-R-Done!

I simply shake my head and wonder why I didn't buy one of these 20 years ago. Thanks for the help guys.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I had to replace my fuel pump and now can't get rid of the gas smell. I dropped it again and found one vent hose had come off. Still smell gas...

We put the ring on nice and tight and snapped the fuel line on good. Coming up on top down season and it's gonna' stink!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore