Fuel Injection

I have an 1989 6 cylinder 4.2 Wrangler. Was thinking about having it shifted over to fuel injection. Live in California also. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Dow

That's probably one of the very best mods you can do to your 4.2L engine. It not only improves performance by boosting HP and torque, fuel economy magically improves too. Other than its cost, I can't think of any downside to this mod. Jeff Strickland on this forum has done it to his Jeep, he'd be a good one to get more info from.

Jerry

Jack Dow wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Does being in California make it any more difficult?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Dow

Jerry, Any suggestions on a good place to have it done in San Diego?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Dow

Note the info regarding a tired engine.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Only that you will need to find a "non-idiotic" smog place to have it smogged. Call around to find out if they've done a MPI'd jeep before. Or call to some local jeep shops and get they're recommendations.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Since Jeff Strickland resides in California, it must not be difficult. Besides, all you have to do is make sure any FI kit you buy is certified for use in California. Don't know of anyone who installs them, those I know who did installed them theirselves.

Jerry

Jack Dow wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

No. The kit is fully certified by CARB. When you are finished installing the kit, there are a set of stickers that you will have to affix in the engine bay, these stickers tell the Smog guys that the stuff that is missing has been properly removed, and the stuff added is also correct. After you install the kit, your engine will be tested as equivelent to a '94.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jack Dow proclaimed:

To avoid friendly little chats with the air resources board, restrict your choices to CARB approved modifications. That the new setup would pollute less than your current one would be a logical issue, which has nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Lon

I had that problem when I first installed my MPFI. The guy would not accept that it was properly - legally - modified. I finally convinced him to at least look it up by the CARB number on the sticker. He found that it was indeed an allowable modification, so he passed the visual and moved over the diagnostic machine. He pressed the button that said the motor was modified, and the computer immediately spit out a Reject letter with an 800 number to call the referee. The ref said that I was fine and to go back to the Smog Shop. The owner of the shop said the guy that did my Jeep was new, and clueless. His senior Smog Guy was on vacation until the following Monday and if I could come back, he would do the test for without additional charge. Anyway, the senior guy really knows his stuff, and I passed with flying colors. I have smogged three times now, each time at the same shop by the same tech.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah, I went to a shop on my first try and they refused me. Wouldn't do it and told me to go to the ref.

I said "blow that" and called a local 4wd jeep shop who I knew installed the kit to see who they used. They told me and all was fine.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That TBI kit looks like a nice set-up; too bad it is too expensive for my wallet. Has anybody, or is it possible to, accumulate(d) the necessary conversion parts and do a homebuilt system like that?

Reply to
Hoodoo

Not any more. Riverside now uses the treadmill (dyno).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Only high smog areas use those, or all stations?

As for Riverside, have heard it has changed, but back in the mid 70's you couldn't even see to drive for the smog hanging along the back way thru Riverside down to San Diego.

Jeff Strickland proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The improvement in mileage is questionable. I got better mileage with my carb than with the Mopar kit. Also, make sure you get the latest fuel computer - it seems to handle engine variations better. Mine used to die several times on cold mornings, but since I replaced the computer with the newer model, it's only died once in the last couple of months.

Reply to
Michael White

I think it's all stations in Riverside County. When I bought my CJ, the only stations near me that required the treadmill were in Hemet, now I have to get on the 'mill in Temecula. I am pretty sure the entire county now must put cars on the treadmill to do the Smog Test.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland