Fuel Pump Bad Again ?!

Hi Everyone, Last week my CJ5 left me walking in the record cold here in Colorado. Just as I figured it was the fuel pump again. The diagnosis doesn't look good this time. The pump was only a year and a half old. What I found was the fuel pump lever that works off the cam lobe has been either broken off or has been worn right down to nothing. After some though of dismay, I realized that this might have happened to the last one as well. Yes, I was pretty ignorant and didn't draw any conclusion last time so I just put a new pump on. Guess I just figured that it may have been the original pump and it just worn down.

Ok, This is my game plan. I know I need to drop the oil pan and inspect for damage. Hopefully, I find the scrap metal in the pan. I'm going to install a new oil pump and screen while I'm in there. Also, I felt around the lobe with my fingernail and pad and can't feel any abrasions except on the very edge of the lobe. Not within the surface area. Yes, I will use a light and mirror when I go back to the vehicle again to do a visual. The motor has not been started since it died and ran completely fine before this happened. Only because I'm on a budget, and can't afford a new cam, rebuilt motor/head, etc. I'm looking into the possibility of installing an electronic fuel pump instead of another mechanical. I need to know what I should be looking for in terms of Flow rates, Pressure, etc. I want a unit that doesn't have to be inside the fuel tank. I have a 1 barrel Carter Carb, that functions fine. I've looked in Quadratec and 4wd Hardware. 4wd Hardware has two different holley fuel pumps, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers. Please send advice and recommendations. The vehicle is a

1975 CJ5 258 with a 1 barrel carb. I have also installed a return line back to the tank since that year was not manufactured with one.
Reply to
Paul Brogren

That is a really strange one....

I am thinking that maybe you put the wrong pump in there so there was too much pressure on the arm which wore it out. Those are GM pumps and have different shaped arms for different applications. The V8 pump has a different arm.

I do have a photo around somewhere I think of mine that shows the correct arm for the 258 because someone else had something like that same trouble once I think. I could look and email it to you if needed.

Meanwhile if you use the proper CJ gas filter and the return line, the filter's return line hole is metered so the correct pressure goes to the carb. I think the Jeep pump puts out something like 3 psi at idle and up to 5.5 psi at speed. The Holly replacements needs less that 3.5 or something so need a regulator.

Unless someone knows better, I would look for an electric with those type of specs or get a variable pressure regulator you can adjust.

I would wire the pump the same as your ignition using a relay with a solenoid trigger wire for when the key is in 'start' and an oil pressure trigger wire (from the electric choke circuit, the switch is on the oil sender) for when the engine is running.

I would put these two wires to the relay trigger so the pump only comes on with the starter and shuts off with the engine.

Pumps work best when pushing usually, so close to the tank is the best place to put one.

Mike

Paul Brogren wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain