Fuel tank leak - fuel pump cover or pressure release valve?

Hi When filling up my ´94 Gr. Cherokee the other day I discovered it was leaking fuel. The leak seems to originate from either the fuel pump mounting or the pressure release velve on the the top of the tank. (So when those first few liters in the top of the tank had drained away, it stopped..) I've understood that the gasket on the fuel punmp cover can start to leak which means i'll have to change it. What i'm woondering is if anyone has any experience with the pressure release valve leaking? We'we had very cold weather (- 20 C) for several days preceding me discovering the leak. Might this have anything to do with it?

Regards - Snowman

Reply to
zarro

Did you see the leak or are you guessing?

I have heard of more filler hose leaks than pump gasket leaks. The filler hose has a clamp on the tank that gets a bit loose. I don't know where your pump is, but on our Cherokee we would have to get down to 3/4 or lower to stop it's gasket from leaking and the pressure vent is dead top center so only the fuel that goes up the filler pipe can leak out of it, once the filler has emptied no more top leak.

I have never heard of the pressure relief valve leaking, but....

Mike

zarro wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi. thanks for the reply

I crawled under the car and the leak definitly comes form either the fuel pump cover or the valve. The pump is mounted in a indentaion in the top of the tank and the gas funnels out from that., If the filler hose was leaking the fuel would pour down from it, down the side that wouldn't it? "My leak" pours down the front of the tank just behind the differential. Also the leak stopped very quickly - my guess is that it was only the fuel in the filler hose the driained awy. Efter the leak had stopped the fuel gauge stull read full. My mechaniv suggested that due to my habit of not filling the tank all the way up the gasket on the fuel pump cover might have dried up and cracked. Is that likely?

Regards Snowman

Reply to
zarro

zarro did pass the time by typing:

The gasket will not dry out and crack, it's just a real big o ring. It can get damaged or not seat properly if your not careful when putting the pump back in.

In the book, you mark where the large nut is then count the number of turns to remove it. When putting it back on, you count the same number of turns till the marks line up, then tighten it one more inch.

Your leak could be the quick connects. A pinched O-ring in those will cause leaks. To my knowledge there is only one rebuild kit for the smaller hose. Mopar part number 1-83502745. But the little o-rings are fairly common.

Reply to
DougW

LOL! No.

The gaskets are synthetic rubber and our 88's was still fine to use with a new tank.

It sounds like you are going to have to drop the tank for a look.

Mike

zarro wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain