Fuel Vapor line install ?

I'm going to install a fuel return line from the fuel filter back to the tank. There was not an old line for me to follow. Should I run it close to the supply? Also, when connecting it to the fuel filter should I run it straight to the firewall or back around the front of the engine and run it back down towrds the fuel pump. Any recommendations? '75 CJ5 258 engine

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Paul Brogren did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Keep fuel with fuel.

That I dunno. Just remember to leave slack for engine movement.

Reply to
DougW

I'd run it down the firewall to the frame rail back to the tank. Best to try and route it away from heat. The lien is gonna be filled with vapor and a little gas so you don't want it pressurizing the line thus defeating it's purpose.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

I don't know how much AMC changed the vapor system plumbing between `76 and `79, but I know that there were some. On my `79 the return line from the fuel filter runs as hose back along the top of the manifold to the firewall, then down to the area of the clutch bellcrank, where it changes to steel line. From there it parallels the canister lines along the inside of the left-hand frame rail to the top of the curve over the rear axle, where it dodges inboard, changes back to hose and returns to the fuel sender. The `78 that I pulled apart a couple of years ago was pretty much the same.

Since it is mostly vapor, a return line and enclosed, you really don't care about the few inch distance to the exhaust system you have with this path. Even if the heat generates a little extra vapor it will dump into the tank where it will eventually vent to the canister and on to the intake to be burned.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

On my '76 CJ-7 (built in Sep '75), it exits the top tube of the filter (not center, of course) as a hose over to the fender and down to the frame (inside I think). At the frame, it's connected to a steel line that's held in place by clamps with screws into the frame. The steel line is in parallel with the tank vent from the canister somewhere at/under the firewall. I wouldn't worry too much about heat unless it's "askin' for problems" close to a manifold or the exhaust pipe. Good luck to ya'. o_o_o_o Best Regards, /| ,[_____], Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯ ()_)¯¯¯¯¯)_) EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Reply to
Drink