gages... we don't need no stinking cluster gages

Ok. if you remember my previous post about my oil pressure gage shorting out in my '03 2.4 TJ... here's the follow up... and 2 questions near the bottom of the post previously: my gage in my dash intermittently would not work, showing no pressure, then after a few restarts would start working, dealer got in the jeep turned it on, said "it's working now, bring it back when it's not" ... damn $tealer... so now that I'm over 36,000 miles, I put a "REAL" pressure gage on my jeep - if you want to know where to put an aftermarket pressure gage on the

2.4, on the passenger side, near the back of the engine high on the head above the exhaust manifold, you will find an 3/16 square hole plug (like a allen or torx hole but it's square) I ground down an old allen wrench to fit and unscrewed the plug and the adaptor with the pressure gage fit perfectly So now that I've got a mechanical pressure gage, and an electronic one in the dash I can compare the two... Now to my questions, my electronic gage in my dash never moves, when its working.... it shows just a tad over half way up on the gage... and it shows that if my mechanical is reading 25psi or 60 psi.. now I know that electronic gages are slow to respond to changes, but there are times when the pressure stays at one level for 10-15 minutes, and still that damn dash gage reads the same - Does anyone else out there have the 2.4 and does your oil pressure gage move during normal or abnormal driving or does it behave just like mine? Second question - jeep has an idiot light that monitors the dash gages and when one of them reads abnormal it lights a Check gages idiot light and beeps at me... Does anyone know a way to disable this light / beeper, I'm gonna eventually disable the oil pressure gage in the dash by unplugging the sending unit and see if the light still goes on, and if that doesn't solve it, I'm gonna take the light out of the dash - doesn't stop the beeping but at least I won't have that damn light in my eyes... of course I could just trouble shoot the oil pressure malfunction - maybe even replace the oil pressure sending unit, but I don't know that I want to spend the money on that... especially knowing how useless it is.. ~D
Reply to
Closed