Gas milage

went for a 300 mile trip over the mountains, this weekend, when i first got my 90YJ i was getting 21mpg, (300 miles a tank) 14gal. put in a power steering pump, gas milage went to 17mpg (around 250 a tank.)

this trip,

14mpg (220 miles a tank.)

same tires, new plugs,distributer wires,

havnt done anything to motor except the alternator trouble a few weeks ago, any ideas?

thanks, johnp be nice to get back up to 18-20mpg,

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

i wish i could help you..... my mpg for the 98 cherokee went from 17 city driving to 12.5 city driving over the last 2 months.... waiting til warmer weather to root around... no idea as to why...

Reply to
Paw

"Paw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Throw in a new set of spark plugs and see what happens. Test the plug wires* and replace them if needed.

*Easy plug wire test: open hood on a dark night with the engine running, the fuzzy blue glow and arcs around the plug wires is NOT a good thing!
Reply to
XS11E

I had a look at my '97 cherokee 4.0l and can't see how to take no:1 plug out without removing anything else. It looks tight in there behind the alternator or compressor (I can't remember which).

Reply to
Danny

"Paw" wrote

I have a 4-cylinder 2001 Wrangler that has have *never* gotten more than

15mpg on it's best day. I love the Wrangler, but this little engine is so underpowered that it works flat-out at highway speeds (which in this vehicle max-out at about 65-70 on flat ground with no headwind).

My advice to prospective Wrangler owners is to buy the 6-cylinder. The I-4 is fine for around-town driving, but it is just not enough engine for this vehicle if you ever plan to use it on the highway.

El Alumbrado "Civis Texanus Sum"

Reply to
ElAlumbrado

Danny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

That's why they make TNT, it'll take out the plug!

Seriously, I drive a Grand Cherokee V8, I traded in my Wagoneer 4.0 for it some years back and I honestly can't recall where the plugs are on the six. If it's behind the compressor, it's possible that you can fool around with extensions and "U" joints to reach it maybe? One other trick that sometimes works on plugs that are hidden is to use the old type sheet metal wrench thingy that has the holes in the side where you stick a screwdriver to turn it, they sometimes fit where sockets won't.

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It's tight, but they're all accessible w/out removing anything. Pic by bill is correct.

Reply to
Paw

I have a 02 Wrangler Sport with the straight 6 and I was only getting about

12.2 mpg on combined city and hwy driving mostly to work. I replaced the air filter for the first time at 32K miles and now get 14.15 mpg doing the same type of driving. It is only supposed to get 15-17 anyway, but has never done that from the day I bought it almost 3 years ago.
Reply to
David Rhodes

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Danny did pass the time by typing:

Depends on the year but either one or the other is in the way. :)

You need a spark plug socket with the rubber insert removed and a wobble adapter then a 3" extension.

To remove the boot use a boot puller (T looking doodad) that hooks around the boot. Fitting the plug back in is easier if you push a bit of hose over the plug then use that as a handle to start it in.

Reply to
DougW

I have had the oil changes and lubes. I have not done the 30K spark plug replacement yet nor drained the trans. Everything else is done. I also need to get the tires rotated again.

Reply to
David Rhodes

That happens to me every time I use one or two particular brands of gas. They sneak alcohol or ethanol in the gas and I lose 30% or more mileage.

It is a total rip off by the gas companies. Add a little environmentally friendly' grain alcohol in there to 'help' farmers and the air because 'it' burns cleaner. Total BS.

They forget to mention that the gas mileage then goes to crap so they get an instant 30% boost in their profits and all the dirty air that extra gas pollutes!

I would also be checking how tight I got the belts. If the belts are too tight, they will cause a lot of friction wear on the water pump, PS pump and alternator bearings. This can eat some HP. Enough that I always made sure mine were adjusted right or even loose when I was running on a track.

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This would be Arco and Beacon? At 7.5 freeway mpg my Jeepster is not used for general transport, I have bikes and a 50 MPG diesel car for that.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Bill showed the right socket. It is the one you can fit a box or open end wrench on and you take the rubber insert out so it angles on.

Bill's top photo shows it, but there is an angle knuckle in there that is not needed with the open end wrench.

Mike

Danny wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

if you have a GPS check to see if your speedometer is off...that will affect your odometer readings and consequently your mileage calculations.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You still have connection issues so my guess is the computer dropped to 'limp home' mode which will burn a pile of gas.

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain